shock mount plates for 67 up with 9" rear

I have a 65 fastback with a 9" rear with the larger diameter axle tubes. I need to replace my shock mounting plates and I can't find a set of them to fit this rear. I believe I need to find some for a 67 or up car equipped with a 9" so that the U-bolt diameter will be correct. Anyone know where I can find some?

• Sponsors (?)

If you'll buy a set of Lakewood or maybe some other brand of traction bar, you'll kill two birds with one stone. The Lakewoods, replace the spring/shock mount plate and is drilled for the 9"rear axle tubes.Plus you'll get better traction.

ColdBloodedVert said:
I have a 65 fastback with a 9" rear with the larger diameter axle tubes. I need to replace my shock mounting plates and I can't find a set of them to fit this rear. I believe I need to find some for a 67 or up car equipped with a 9" so that the U-bolt diameter will be correct. Anyone know where I can find some?

Have you thought drilling the current plates to fit the 3" axle tube which what i assume you have instead of the tapered axle tubes?

Actually I am replacing the Lakewood bars that I have right now with new Competition Engineering Slide-A-Link bars. These are supposed to be better and I hope they help with braking as well due to how they connect to the front leaf spring mount. The old bars did nothing for helping with braking.

I no longer have my original shock mount plates and the new bars do not have a mount for the shocks. That is my dilemma. :shrug: I did not want to buy and modify 65 shock mounts if I could find some 67's or 68's that would fit without modification. I honestly don't know if I could widen the holes enough on 65 mounts without reaching the edge of the plate. That may be my only option.

Thanks for the suggestions.

ColdBloodedVert said:
Actually I am replacing the Lakewood bars that I have right now with new Competition Engineering Slide-A-Link bars. These are supposed to be better and I hope they help with braking as well due to how they connect to the front leaf spring mount. The old bars did nothing for helping with braking.

I no longer have my original shock mount plates and the new bars do not have a mount for the shocks. That is my dilemma. :shrug: I did not want to buy and modify 65 shock mounts if I could find some 67's or 68's that would fit without modification. I honestly don't know if I could widen the holes enough on 65 mounts without reaching the edge of the plate. That may be my only option.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Even if there was enough room, the shock mount would not accomodate that large of a diameter axel tube.

The TCP ones are kinda spendy but they are a solution for your problem...

http://www.mustangdepot.com/OnLineCatalog/Suspension/tcp-spring-plate.htm

I had the same problem, if you drill out the early plates for the 3" tubes, the holes will be at the edge of the corners with not enough material left to be able to trust it. You might just have to go to a junkyard and get some. If you do, make sure the shock mounting is the same.

I'm not sure what rear you are using, but the later 67, 68.. Mustang rears had tapered axle tubes too, just not as much as the 65/66 ones. Also, the 67, 68 8" rear was larger dia tube (2 7/8") than the 65/66 8" (2 1/4") rear. So if you are using a 9" rear out of a Mustang, the shock plate should be the same for either an 8" or 9" rear. Mustangs Unlimited used to list 67-70 new shock plates for about $23 each (LH F1604) (RH F1603); and may still offer them.