Shop floor colors

Olivethefet

I will own your nuts! LOL
5 Year Member
May 17, 2018
Enterprise AL
I know this isn't a fox body thing, but this is where I live. Feel free to move the thread if it belongs somewhere else.

I'm in the process of building a shop. It's up at this point, but I've still.got a lot of work to do before it is useable. One of the first things I've got to do is, want to do, coat the floor. I bought a product from Armor Poxy called ArmorPoxy ll in Ford racing blue. I was not going to put flecks in it. However, as it turns out the concrete has fiberglass in it. No big deal. Except there are fibers sticking up all over the place. You dont see it at first but when you start really looking its hairier than my legs! I just put a similar product down in the garage and noticed how much the coating brings out the fibers. Now I'm thinking I need to put a fleck down to hide the fibers.

Given the situation if you were coating your shop floor Ford Blue what color flecks would you pick? I'm terrible at picking colors like this. The wife has suggest white and grey. No @Davedacarpainter I won't be putting green flecks into it. I'm attaching the fleck chart and a pick of the garage floor so you know what I'm talking about. Its gonna be a while before I do this but I need to order this stuff if I'm going this route.

20190506_185438.jpg

Attachments

• FLECK COLORS ALL PDF.pdf
    363.6 KB · Views: 153
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

If it were me....I'd go with the fleck closest to Ford gray you could get. Right now my shop is Ford gray walls with Ford blue trim and I like the colors together like that.

My garage is white, gray epoxy floor, I have the fiber crete also but I had it trowel finished, just finished etching the floor and will be applying the coating likely tomorrow. It's the last step before moving in.
You can try taking a brick and rub the surface to take off the 'hair' or get a concrete sander to take it off other than that I wouldn't know.
BTW, I'm not using the chips.

Red and White. Not a bad idea. Ive got to look into the brick thing. It would be a lot of floor to brick though. Maybe the sander would work better. I really want it to just be one nice smooth solid color.

Ive got one of those propane flamethrowers for cleaning fence lines. I can use that!

Looks like I'll be doing some concrete grinding in the future. Thanks for the info General!

I contacted the guys at Armorpoxy about preparing the floor. They said to use a brush torch to burn off the hairs! Maybe I'll break out the flamethrower after all. I'm going to have to prime the floor though.

The one thing to remember about concrete, I think it's the lime, but too must heat will make it pop out little pieces and they are HOT. Just fan the flame over the surface like your painting a car not burning down a tree!

LOL. Hear ya loud and clear. If I do go through with the burn route it will be quick passes. All jokes aside I think it is the best route. It's a fresh pour so any trapped moisture, if super heated, with a crazed flamethrower would definitely make it pop.

My dad had a industrial company coat his shop floor on a existing pad. It cracked and broke up after 15 years. His solution was tear up the whole floor and no coating. He just used a good sealer on the cement. I'm in Michigan and I dont believe in epoxy because of our humidity and winters. The floor has to wick away the moisture. Something to think about if your in a wet area. Also I have heard of people doing this in the city with no sand and hear it is slick with rain and snow. Just some things to consider.

I fully understand how slick these floors get when wet! I've busted butt in my dad's shop before. To Karthiefs's point I dont want to put the sand in it due to the fact that it makes so hard to clean. I'm garage on the house I put the grit in it because wet cars will be coming and going and I dont want to worry about someone getting hurt just trying to get out of the car. The shop on the other hand, ENTER AT YOUR OWN PERIL!!!

• Agree
@Blown88GT Thanks for the advice! I really appreciate everyone chiming in with there thoughts. I actually already purchased the material I'm going to use on the floor. Its called Armorpoxy II by Armor Poxy.

https://armorpoxy.com/products/job-...nstall-system-armorpoxy-ii-per-sq-ft-low-voc/

The color I chose is what they call racing blue. The whole project is on hold at the moment until I can get moved into the new house. The concrete still needs some time to fully cure, then the next step will be to get rid of the fiberglass hairs. I'm debating priming it as well.

Attachments

• ArmorClad-Color-Chart-3 (1).pdf
    138.4 KB · Views: 170
Check out https://www.garagejournal.com/ great site for garages and work spaces.
Personally I would never skip the non-slip step. A friend was working in his garage and he slipped on some water than he did not notice.
He has a nice smooth epoxy floor and he said he could not move for 20 mins as he got winded, it happened so fast.
They don't use sand anymore, it wears too quickly, It is more difficult to clean but it is a small price to pay.
You can get different grades - sizes.