Should I Buy Intake?

90FoXbOdY5.0

Aug 28, 2012
Hey guys, i have a chance to get a BBK SSI intake all complete except throttle body for $200, now i have seen a bunch of old posts from years ago saying bad stuff... but for $200 seems like it might be worth the risk considering they still sell for almost $700 today. Is it really the intake its self or do you think it was the installers error why they had problems? any comments would be great!

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

does it have the rails and all that crap? i think the intake is dumb as hell and for the money there are better options out there...

Pass. They're junky. Head to a local wrecker and pick yourself up a proven and more importantly "reliable" Explorer intake and make just as much power. I can't remember who it was on here that bought that gimmicky BBK piece and had nothing but problems with it.

Gt40p heads will add power over stock. Theres just a problem with the spark plug angle and the spark plugs clearing the headers. Some people have problems, some dont. I havent gotten mine installed yet, but hey the engine was free with the exception of machine shop costs to rebuild it and the heads. The consensus is theyre worth it on a budget. Oh and i like to combo things of the same brand. My explorer intake is onpy going to be temporary though. Until i save to get a trick flow or something that looks nicer

yeah that's my only dilemma on the aftermarket heads and stuff, i just bought a house and got a kid on the way so budget is tight, i started with a stock car and just want to get these horses galloping....

I have one on my car. Not by choice. It was there and I refuse to take it off until I hit the strip a few times. If you buy it plan on a hood because it will hit the stock one. Plan on NO cruise control as the valve cover will come in contact with the throttle linkage. Plan on relocating your map sensor and plan on a whistle at idle when warm.
With that said, mine runs fabulous. I'll be buying a Track Heat at some point. But for $200.00 or less I'd buy it and Ebay it for more.

Reactions: 1 user
i picked up a explorer upper and lower intake off ebay a few months ago for $150 shipped. i cleaned it and painted it before installing. its a decent upgrade for the money spent.

With p's you will need aftermarket headers though. I think bbk shorties work and all longtubes, but MAC sells p specific headers. Theyre a tad pricey

MAC equal length shorties will also work with the p heads. One plug is tight, forget which one, but doable. Dont those heads also bump compression a tad bit

Sent from my rooted, rommed Galaxy Nexus....

I have one on my car. Not by choice. It was there and I refuse to take it off until I hit the strip a few times. If you buy it plan on a hood because it will hit the stock one. Plan on NO cruise control as the valve cover will come in contact with the throttle linkage. Plan on relocating your map sensor and plan on a whistle at idle when warm.
With that said, mine runs fabulous. I'll be buying a Track Heat at some point. But for $200.00 or less I'd buy it and Ebay it for more.

^THIS. Everything in this post is spot on.
Also if you do get this intake and ever run tall valve covers, you'll have to get a spacer between the upper and lower plenum because the valve cover will come into contact too much with the throttle body to connect the throttle cable.

And watch out for fuel leaks on the cross over tube. Make sure the rails are bolted down tight and you may have to buy a new O-ring kit from BBK IF the crossover does leak. I'd buy two sets and double stack O-rings.

I am also an owner of the dreaded SSI...
Car seems to run good with it, though.