Should I Buy The Fox??

May I humbly recommend 2001-2002 Saturn SL2? 36-38 mpg (42 max). Fiberglass body (doesn't dent). Cheaper and as reliable as the corrolas. Super simple. Millions in the junkyards for cheap parts.

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Guys, Listen. This is like saying do you want the hot stripper girlfriend who does lots of "fun things", who might from time to time need some attention from another "mechanic", but is a 10+ on the fun factor hotness scale...or the 30 lb overweight nerd girlfriend who is loyal, low maintenance and her idea of a "good time" is dinner AND a movie? When you are in college, cars, like girls are temporary...go with the fun one.....

Reactions: 1 user
Guys, Listen. This is like saying do you want the hot stripper girlfriend who does lots of "fun things", who might from time to time need some attention from another "mechanic", but is a 10+ on the fun factor hotness scale...or the 30 lb overweight nerd girlfriend who is loyal, low maintenance and her idea of a "good time" is dinner AND a movie? When you are in college, cars, like girls are temporary...go with the fun one.....

I thought fat chicks were like mopeds..........

Reactions: 1 users
College parking lot, store parking lot, where ever you go stuff can happen. That's why mine is not too pretty, I would rather drive it and enjoy it rather than shine it up in the driveway and park it back in the garage. I've have known lots of cars too nice and people afraid to take it anywhere, what's the use, drive it and enjoy it, your only young once.

I had a fox for a daily driver once... and another fox as a backup car... and an old beat up Chevy pickup as a backup to the backup.

I don't recommend old cars for a daily unless they're Asian (and I don't include Mitsubishi in that category, they've been corrupted by Chrysler far too much) or a GM truck.

May I humbly recommend 2001-2002 Saturn SL2? 36-38 mpg (42 max). Fiberglass body (doesn't dent). Cheaper and as reliable as the corrolas. Super simple. Millions in the junkyards for cheap parts.

There are exceptions. My 1994 Saturn SL1 (only FWD car I've ever owned, learned to drive stick in the thing) was indestructible.

I'd put my Saturn and Ford Truck up against anything from overseas or from Chevy :D.

Having owned all of the above and worked on all of the above for a living, nope. I've had two Ford trucks, one old and one new, not doing that again. Saturns are an exception because GM built them like Asian cars until they ruined the brand with badge-engineering in the early 2000s. When GM took Saturn's autonomy and identity, they destroyed the brand.

You don't say if you cac and do work on your own cars. If you don't, move on to something newer. Older cars tend to need more repairs like control arm bushings, rear axle bearings and seals, pinion seals, transmission seals, rear main seals, etc, and while the those parts are not that expensive, the labor can be a killer and can be very costly to pay a shop to replace.

Having owned all of the above and worked on all of the above for a living, nope. I've had two Ford trucks, one old and one new, not doing that again. Saturns are an exception because GM built them like Asian cars until they ruined the brand with badge-engineering in the early 2000s. When GM took Saturn's autonomy and identity, they destroyed the brand.
Did you ever have a 7.3 powerstroke with a manual trans?

Did you ever have a 7.3 powerstroke with a manual trans?
Nope, '84 with a 302/AOD and 2014 with the 3.7/6R80. Both were worse in virtually every way than the 1999 GMC, 1975 and 1995 Chevy, 2003 Dodge, and now 2008 Toyota trucks I've owned.

Except for towing, that 2014 was an absolute BEAST at pulling a trailer, better than any I'd owned before (though the Toyota is surprisingly just as good, though better and worse in different ways).

My $0.02 worth. Get yourself a Honda Civic or Toy Corolla. College is enough of a chore without the task of keeping a vehicle running. I did my college years driving a VW bug. It was cheap and it almost lasted until my final year (a bearing went, got a rebuild and it lasted until I graduated). This was 40 years ago. After grad I got myself a /70 Dodge Challenger 340, 4 speed stick. It was a blast and no college costs to consider. Got my first mustang a few years ago, 1990 7up with 5 speed. Great car. Life is way easier if you can keep the optional costs close to zero.