Shudder releasing clutch in first

BPA

Founding Member
Aug 5, 2000
S.F.
On my 94 from a stand still with about 1200 to 1400 rmps in first gear there is a shudder from the trans clutch area something like it feels like it is ingaging and then doesnt untill the rpm get to about 2000. it does this no matter if i take it easy or drive a little more agressive from a stop. could it be a bad (warped) flexplate..any ideas welcome. I also have a banging noise sounding like its coming from the rear of the trans quite load if im going about 35 and drop it from 3rd in to secound at wot.I havnt really been able to isolate were the noise is exactly coming from. This is probably unrelated to the first problem. lets see what u guys think i need some help.

• Sponsors (?)

also i forgot to mention i notice a little bit of what feels like hesitation or a pulsing exeleration at wot in 1st and secound gear. maybe unrelated??

I also forgot to say that when in secound and downshifting into first gear say at around 10 or 5 miles an hour half the time it will grind going into gear.even if it is at a complete stop sometimes it will grind but less likley. And in the morning when im backing out of my garage the trans squeeks. only does this in reverse. sounds very similar to break pads queeking. I tryed pulling up on the clutch pedal but this didnt help trying to ajust it. I guess the squeek could be the throw out bearing. Fluild level on the trans is good..

that would cause the trans not to go grind going into first too? i keep forgetting stuff. dam it....its poping out of first gear sometimes. not sure if i didnt just not engage it enough but i think i am.. I havnt driving a stick shift on a regular basis for a while but ive never had that problem in any other car ive drove.i start letting of the clutch and half way it starts to roll and then bang its not in gear..

I agree about adding a new clutch and PP. Get your flywheel machined at a machine shop and throw in a new TB. You can also check out the end play between the input shaft and output shaft. Once the tranny is out, set the tranny on the input shaft and lift up. The output shaft should move a few milimiters. At least that is what my T-5 book from Ford says.

The grinding may be some bad synchro packs and you should take the tranny in to at least have it bench inspected at a tranny shop if you are pulling the tranny yourself. It will cost a few bucks but at least you won't have to pull the trany AGAIN to get it repaired. I hate doing that.