Side Exhuast Muffler Shootout

Kurt, a 2 1/2" round pipe is only 1 3/4" height was in oval tubing.

Yeah, and that's over 2 inches, when you leave enough clearance to keep the pipe from rattle on the sub frame connector. 2 inches is a lot when it comes to ground clearance. It's something you have to put some serious consideration too when you are setting up your exhaust.

kurt

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah, and that's over 2 inches, when you leave enough clearance to keep the pipe from rattle on the sub frame connector. 2 inches is a lot when it comes to ground clearance. It's something you have to put some serious consideration too when you are setting up your exhaust.

kurt

My point was that u can gain a lot back by going with knotched subframes and oval tubing.

Sorry I made it to the thread late, Ryan. I looked back through my threads and found where I posted when I got the exhaust fabricated, but the picture is expired. I have the picture at home but it's on my external HD which has kicked the bucket :nonono:

My setup looks just like turbogt's does though, his actually looks a tad bit cleaner. I remember sending him pictures and info about how I did it before he built his. It's pretty simple.

To go the route we went, you will need to cut a bit off your mid pipe, and either weld the mufflers on or fabricate a slip fit of some sort. You also will not be able to use any chambered/square style muffler, as there is just not enough space to do it. Trust me, I tried everything and the room is just not there unless you use a same side in/out muffler which is what I was wanting to get away from.

From your first list of mufflers, I would say the Powerflo's from SLP are probably going to be the mildest as far as volume. The race bullets are going to be a no-no, they are extremely loud.

I do have a thought though. You might be able to take an off road X (or H) and weld in a pair of the dynomax race bullets where cats would be on a catted pipe, then have the Powerflo's welded in where turbogt and I do. This would give you two mufflers on each side, but would not restrict flow like running a catted pipe would. The bullets are only slightly larger than their in/out diameters (probably 1" overall diameter larger, so 1/2" effectively for ground clearance) so I don't think you would have much problem as far as clearance under the car.

Oh and I also have a couple other round case/straight through options for you to consider:

Bassani Race Mufflers
Bassani Universal Race Muffler - RM254512

Thread on SN where a guy put them on a 5.0:
http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/778516-new-exhaust-bassani-race-mufflers-5-0-video.html

SSS Terminator Mufflers

video of the sound for an idea of loudness (not on a 5.0):
YouTube - SSS Terminator mufflers 99 GT

Pypes M-80:
Pypes Performance Exhaust MVR200S - Pypes M-80 Round Case Mufflers - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Hushpower Pro Series:
Hushpower 13016101 Hushpower Pro Series Muffler 3.00" Center / 3.50" Center

spintech has a muffler with the outlet 90 degrees from the inlet that would work perfect for a side exhaust setup.

Never seen it before, but I found some pics of the muffler you're talking about:

0409pon_spintech_18_z.jpg

0409pon_spintech_17_z.jpg

DMS-Promo-5_img3.jpg

home_right_image.png

spintech has a muffler with the outlet 90 degrees from the inlet that would work perfect for a side exhaust setup.

That would make it a bit difficult to get the tips to look good as im almost positive that the outlet wont be up towards the front of the car enough.

I'd also rather have the same side in/out so i only had 1 90* bend, rather than 2. The same side in/out would make the turn less harsh.