Ryan Olsen

Mar 2, 2018
I have an 03 Mustang in which I have been trying to install a head unit in for over two months. The weather hasn’t been too forgiving in Illinois and either were the owners before my car. It started when I first got it installed, it worked fine up until I started driving to work and then I heard a humming noise. Thinking it was just a lose connection I’d have to fix later, I waited till after work to turn it on....and nothing no power. So I took it apart again and found a cigarette lighter hardwiring kind of deal, and then an acc wire tapped into my fuse panel. Didn’t think I needed them because I bypassed them the first time. I removed those extra add-ons
the owners before had a red (acc) wire wrapped around fuse 37 which I believe is the stereo. Putting all that aside, I knew there was some janky bs involved and I didnt wanna make things worse than they already were. So then i took it by the nearest geek squad (62) miles away. All he managed to do in an an hour was re-crimp the factory harness that was cut. And pretty the mess up ig. But instead of fixing my problem, he stole my fuses and robbed me of $80 for something I could’ve done myself. I exchanged my stereo thinking it could be faulty, it works when I connected directly to my battery. What do I do? Should I go back to the acc fuse tap idea or what? Maybe run a new ground directly from my negative battery terminal to the stereo?
It’s also hooked up to a sub that hasn’t been working. All things aside, what can I do that’s possible for making this stereo run with no faults whatsoever? Please help. Anything is appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome to stangnet, I understand your frustration on the geek guy so I slid this over to the sound and shine forums to get you some help, I will admit, I have not heard of ska', had to google it, I'll check it out later.

I'd rewire the whole damned thing.

It's not too difficult to isolate the speaker wires from all the others. After that, you can run a new power, new ground, and new remote wire, fused and properly connected and terminated. You may even want to create a power and ground bus for ALL of your stereo equipment. Put the amp on those same busses.

There's no telling the amount of :poo: you could find in there. It's best to rip it out and do it right. Leave it in the "OFF" mode until you get time to address it properly.