Smog Pump & Charcoal Canister Questions

dbdragracing

Dec 1, 2004
I have decided to keep my '89 GT, so today I started my T-5 swap. While doing this I decided to remove my smog stuff since Im also installing an offroad h-pipe.

I have removed the pump and lines going to the cats...now I want to remove the lines going to the heads...do I just remove and plug these?

The vacum line associated with the smog pump...do I just plug these?

Do I need the charcoal canister stuff?

Also, what belt size do I need since I removed my smog pump, but still have a/c?

Thanks for any help...I have been searching, but its time for bed! Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

plug the vac lines, 5/8" 11 tpi bolt will plug the back of the heads, or a spark plug, or you can cut the blocks off the tubing, flip them, and bolt them back on. i don't like the idea of removing my evap system... some will argue, but if you park in a garage, i'd be a little weary, and if you seal it right up, get a vented gas cap

i have the belt you need in my garage. ill get you the numbers on it tomorow. there was a diagram that people post up but dont go by it becuase its wrong for some reason. i had to go back several times tilli found the right size

I agree with BB on the EVAP. There's no reason to remove it (or open the system. It's a closed system OEM). If anything, it slightly enriches the mixture at times. Leave it be. If you dont like the cannister, put it inside the fender like SN95's have.

Good luck.

Thanks for the help guys. It would be great if you could give me the belt type and number. I would love to get this running today. I guess I will leave the charcoal canister and just finish removing the smog stuff. Thanks.

Went out to get the head bolts to plug the smog line holes...I found 5/8" 11tpi, but I could ony find 1.5" long....is this too long? Thanks.

it'll stick out a little bit, i think thats all i could find also, mine sticks out like 3/4" maybe, but where they are, you never see them so it doesnt bother me. it'll work. i had to thread them in almost like using a tap, back and forth. seems like they don't fit but they will, just a lot of carbon buildup in there.

Thanks for the help guys. It would be great if you could give me the belt type and number. I would love to get this running today. I guess I will leave the charcoal canister and just finish removing the smog stuff. Thanks.

With pullies- 83.5, without pullies 84.5 short belt route... Its hit or miss, You have to try multiple belt sizes. For instance-I have no smog pump, March power and amp pullies and i run a 81.5 inch belt

But your part # off hand would be K060835 or K060845, Im more than sure thats DAYCO p/n... Either dayco or gates...

Later Ant

BTW- i have yanked all the smog and EVAP crap from my stang 4 years ago and vented the line from the tank-No problems, car runs great! iT ALL DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU WANNA DO. I DIDNT WANT TO SPEND $$$ ON REPLACING THE CHARCOAL CANISTER, So i eliminated it...

sorry it took me so long to get you the belt number. any way, its a Dayco Poly Cog. got it at pepboys and the belt number is 5060850. Just bring that info to a parts store and they can cross reference it. My car had stock pulleys , a/c, power steering, etc. basically everything without the smog pump