• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-

Snapped Clutch Cable!

  • Thread starter Thread starter notch351
  • Start date Start date Jun 7, 2012

notch351

Member
Jul 30, 2010
110
2
19
Jun 7, 2012
#1
  • Jun 7, 2012
  • #1
well it finally happened. after 13 mustangs and hearing stuff about aftermarket cable issues. I was forced to have the cobra towed home the other day while downshifting the cable snapped and the pedal fell to the floor. bogus. good news is it was from upr and they are going to warrenty the cable out and i kept my old stock one so i had a back up. it broke right off at the connection to the clutch fork.
 

Venom351R

Founding Member
Apr 27, 2002
4,548
41
98
MAINE
Jun 7, 2012
#2
  • Jun 7, 2012
  • #2
lucky to have that many and never have that issue before
 

revhead347

Apparently my ex-husband made that mistake.
20+ Year Stangneter
Jun 14, 2004
9,303
1,648
214
Acworth, GA
Jun 10, 2012
#3
  • Jun 10, 2012
  • #3
Sorry to hear that. Luckily I have never broken one either.

Kurt
 

99FiveOh

15 Year Member
May 20, 2006
2,051
20
99
J-Ville, FL
Jun 11, 2012
#4
  • Jun 11, 2012
  • #4
I've broken every single aftermarket cable I've ever bought. But have never broken a single stock cable! Most times I was using an aftermarket due to swapping an auto to a 5 speed and just didn't have a stocker to use.
 
Z

zZsKyZz

Member
Dec 1, 2005
503
0
17
Jun 11, 2012
#5
  • Jun 11, 2012
  • #5
I'm in the process of putting a T5 in mine and got a ford racing cable.. Snapping the cable is always on my mind though.
 

88stang88

5 Year Member
Apr 28, 2005
309
7
39
St. Louis,MO
Jun 11, 2012
#6
  • Jun 11, 2012
  • #6
Ford racing cable should not snap as likely as the aftermarket ones.
 

ProKiller

Founding Member
Apr 26, 2002
3,064
15
78
PA
Jun 12, 2012
#7
  • Jun 12, 2012
  • #7
MM is the only aftermarket i trust
 
Reactions: Chythar

95BlueStallion

My assy trans to myself
15 Year Member
Feb 22, 2007
5,129
3,100
214
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Jun 16, 2012
#8
  • Jun 16, 2012
  • #8
I snapped an aftermarket cable as well, and put my 93,000 mile stock cable back in and never had another issue.
 

casey hefner

New Member
Apr 3, 2013
3
0
1
Hickory, NC
Apr 3, 2013
#9
  • Apr 3, 2013
  • #9
Been there done that man...it sucks. Having a little issue myself. I've already snapped one clutch cable about 5 months ago and now other day pedal felt sticky and felt a pop so I knew it was getting ready to snap again. Got 1st cable from autozone but beginning to wander if I should buy steeda cable since have steeda firewall adjuster and steeda dual quadrant underneath dash. Is the steeda cable that much longer? Or could something else be happening to cause clutch cable to get twisted up?
 

Noobz347

Stangnet Facilities Maint Tech... Er... Janitor
Admin Dude
Jan 4, 1985
43,353
21,555
234
Box behind Walmart
Apr 3, 2013
#10
  • Apr 3, 2013
  • #10
casey hefner said:
Been there done that man...it sucks. Having a little issue myself. I've already snapped one clutch cable about 5 months ago and now other day pedal felt sticky and felt a pop so I knew it was getting ready to snap again. Got 1st cable from autozone but beginning to wander if I should buy steeda cable since have steeda firewall adjuster and steeda dual quadrant underneath dash. Is the steeda cable that much longer? Or could something else be happening to cause clutch cable to get twisted up?
Click to expand...

Buy whatever quadrant and FWA you like. Stick however, with an OEM style cable (MM sells the OEM style).

If you're running aftermarket headers, buy the cable for the 94/95. They're longer and you can route them for more clearance.
 
9

95PGTTech

Member
Jan 28, 2008
302
20
19
Apr 3, 2013
#11
  • Apr 3, 2013
  • #11
Another vote for OEM. Towed home? No one ever taught you to drive without the 3rd pedal?
 

casey hefner

New Member
Apr 3, 2013
3
0
1
Hickory, NC
Apr 3, 2013
#12
  • Apr 3, 2013
  • #12
Noobz347 said:
Buy whatever quadrant and FWA you like. Stick however, with an OEM style cable (MM sells the OEM style).

If you're running aftermarket headers, buy the cable for the 94/95. They're longer and you can route them for more clearance.
Click to expand...
Yea I've had several people tell me to stick with oem even with running aftermarket adjuster. Thanks again for advise!! Was thinking sticky pedal came from throw out bearing being worn out so just trying to figure out what to do ha
 

revhead347

Apparently my ex-husband made that mistake.
20+ Year Stangneter
Jun 14, 2004
9,303
1,648
214
Acworth, GA
Apr 3, 2013
#13
  • Apr 3, 2013
  • #13
I still think the BBK cable is the best. All the others get the bracket wrong and it interferes with longtubes. The last one I bought was a Steeda, and I had to take the bracket off of it, and put the old BBK bracket on it.

My clutch slave cylinder got a catastrophic leak on my truck at 4am in the morning on my way to work. I had to start it in gear and drive it 43 miles without a clutch to work. I was on probation with the airline at the time and couldn't miss work. That sucked.

Kurt
 

casey hefner

New Member
Apr 3, 2013
3
0
1
Hickory, NC
Apr 4, 2013
#14
  • Apr 4, 2013
  • #14
revhead347 said:
I still think the BBK cable is the best. All the others get the bracket wrong and it interferes with longtubes. The last one I bought was a Steeda, and I had to take the bracket off of it, and put the old BBK bracket on it.

My clutch slave cylinder got a catastrophic leak on my truck at 4am in the morning on my way to work. I had to start it in gear and drive it 43 miles without a clutch to work. I was on probation with the airline at the time and couldn't miss work. That sucked.

Kurt
Click to expand...
Oh wow that's a crazy situation!! Yea I've got slp mid lengths on mine so defiantly don't need anything interfering. Me being picky and this happening twice wanted to make sure something else wasn't causing cable to get twisted up. I had thought throw out bearing was sticking but then remembered worn out throw out bearing usually makes groaning or chattering noise
 

revhead347

Apparently my ex-husband made that mistake.
20+ Year Stangneter
Jun 14, 2004
9,303
1,648
214
Acworth, GA
Apr 4, 2013
#15
  • Apr 4, 2013
  • #15
I guess it's no coincidence that the BBK is the most expensive either.

Kurt
 

VibrantRedGT

"STANGNET'S PENGUIN SMACKER"
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
14,679
424
154
Boca Raton, Florida
Apr 4, 2013
#16
  • Apr 4, 2013
  • #16
I've been there too. Went back to my old OEM cable.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

N
Vibration after new clutch
  • nipple_looker
  • Sep 20, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
23
Views
380
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Saturday at 12:05 PM
fasterthangas
F
Drivetrain Broken clutch cable- what it looks like
  • JulianR
  • Aug 6, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
  • 2
Replies
24
Views
628
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Aug 10, 2026
gkomo
2000 GT-Front Brakes Not Releasing
  • stormsedge
  • Aug 7, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
5
Views
171
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Aug 7, 2026
Bronco2fan
B
J
Transmission issues
  • jake411
  • May 9, 2024
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
9
Views
1K
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Jun 3, 2024
2000xp8
is my car dead
  • kenzo0315
  • Jun 30, 2025
  • SN95 V6 Mustang Tech
  • 2
Replies
29
Views
1K
SN95 V6 Mustang Tech Jul 8, 2025
kenzo0315
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?