Progress Thread Snow - 93 GT Vert. My first Ford, Mustang, convertible, ...

The direction I have been given is to install the tstat first, then the timing cover, HB, etc.

It was also recommended to just install the HB by just ratchrting the bolt down as tight as possible using an impact driver.

Thoughts?

• Sponsors (?)

Should I be worried about this oxidation when I put the HB back on?

7E6EA9E0-55CF-4784-BEB3-4ACD688102B3.jpeg

Let me start with I've been drinking beers and shooting guns for the last three hours, but if it was me I'd hit it with a scotch bright pad to clean it up and go on with it. That's my shade tree advice.

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 1 user
[newbie] Ok, so first is thermostat. Little RTV around the tstat (pointed out of housing), then gasket. Then a little RTV around gasket itself, 2 bolts tightened down to 15lbs.

Ordered a new timing cover gasket set from LMR. Comes with all the new gaskets/seal. Will replace those and put on timing cover next week.

The oil pan gasket looks like the one I put on my car. Metal core. If I remember correctly mine was a one piece. It looks like you had to cut part of the gasket off. Is that true? The timing cover kit you bought should have came with a gasket that seals off under the bottom of the timing change cover. I would think you should be ok using that.

I had taken the K-Member off my car at the time so it was easy to remove the oil pan and put a new one piece gasket on. It's a lot harder to do that otherwise. I'm not suggesting to remove the K-Member!

The oil pan gasket looks like the one I put on my car. Metal core. If I remember correctly mine was a one piece. It looks like you had to cut part of the gasket off. Is that true? The timing cover kit you bought should have came with a gasket that seals off under the bottom of the timing change cover. I would think you should be ok using that.

I had taken the K-Member off my car at the time so it was easy to remove the oil pan and put a new one piece gasket on. It's a lot harder to do that otherwise. I'm not suggesting to remove the K-Member!

You are right. I forgot we had to cut that piece. It must have been a single one piece.

The new gasket set does have those bits. I’ll remove the 2 blue gasket ends from the pan to prep for the 3 separate pieces coming from LMR

9A377D64-9C52-4464-88E0-F36A1A25176C.jpeg

Do not remove what’s left of the oil pain gasket . It will never not leak it’s one piece with metal in it . You’re flirting with disaster doing that . If it were me I would keep that half moon piece that broke off above . Use a liberal amount of grey rtv “ the right stuff on the half moon , cover , pan where the gasket it and put it together.

Every HB I have ever done I’ve been able to install with a half inch ratchet and it presses down the crank nice and easy . If you wanted to impact it at the end once it’s seated sure but torque wrench is best

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
I agree with the above post^^^
I pick a cylinder on the drivers side (they are easy to get to) pull the plug, turn the engine over till it is near tdc, shove some nylon rope in the cylinder, that safely stops the engine from turning, ratchet down the balancer then put the torque wrench to it. Back it off, pull out the rope and fill the hole with a spark plug. Done.