so i hear VT out of business.... whats the next best cam?

pdstang2000

Jul 20, 2005
whats the next best n/a cam out there next to VT for my 2000 GT? or are VT cams still available somewhere? i want them :(

i had a machine shop tell me that they could grind my stock cam to VT stage 2 specs, would that be worth while or even possible with my stock cams?

• Sponsors (?)

^nope they cant gring a stock cam to VT stg 2 specs.

Vt stg 2s have like .560 lift and stock cams have...less than that. So how can they grind on your cams and somehow make the lobes taller? They cant haha.

Comp 262/268/270/278s are the next best thing if your looking for an off the shelf cam. I personally wouldnt spend money on a custom cam unless your going all out N/A or blower. :shrug:

im rebuilding the engine.... bottom end is gonna be a forged stroker...

thanks for the quick replys, i sent a msg to mph, gonna see what they can do...
im kind of confused on cams tho, is VT not a company on their own, MPH has vt custom cams (what are those), and i found a set of VT stage 2's on ebay, are those legit?

im rebuilding the engine.... bottom end is gonna be a forged stroker...

thanks for the quick replys, i sent a msg to mph, gonna see what they can do...
im kind of confused on cams tho, is VT not a company on their own, MPH has vt custom cams (what are those), and i found a set of VT stage 2's on ebay, are those legit?

VT is a company but it seems they wern't making the parts. MPH says custom VT's but they now use a different supplier so no worries there. Ebay sellers i'd hope have VT cams in stock and are selling those, cuz if they are then just ordering them through VT it's not going to work.

I dont personally have any experience with comps. My experience is only with regrind cams. However, from what I gather, with the comp 270 and above, its very important to have them set and degreed properly to avoid ptv issues. Im sure others on this board with them can chime in. I personally considering going with Houston Performance Regrinds on my next build. I've seen some incredible NA numbers come out of their shop with their heads and reground cams. Also, I would take a look at the crower cams.

BTW, anybody know what happened to SHM cams? Ive been out of the game for a while, but those used to be a big hit many years ago.

^nope they cant gring a stock cam to VT stg 2 specs.

Vt stg 2s have like .560 lift and stock cams have...less than that. So how can they grind on your cams and somehow make the lobes taller? They cant haha.

Comp 262/268/270/278s are the next best thing if your looking for an off the shelf cam. I personally wouldnt spend money on a custom cam unless your going all out N/A or blower. :shrug:

yea you can if you put a add on stock grinding wheel in the machine:rolleyes: