Drivetrain So I'm planning on building my tranny

CornholiusTheGreat

Dec 27, 2012
You can go ahead and erase the Silence of the Lambs mental pictures now, we're talking about transmissions here. :p

I'm currently in the process of doing my suspension and brakes (I'll to a Wilwood kit eventually, but I have a good setup now), and the next thing on the docket is my transmission build. Handling and braking are priority uno, but I still plan to make biggish power (430-550 perhaps).

Here's what I'm after:

Retaining the 4R70W
Must be safe to manually shift, and promptly shift when I tell it to
Able to place it in drive (traffic sucks), and must not be a pain in the ass in traffic
Okay to run on a road course occasionally, though most of its days are A to B
Durability, durability, durability

I know I will want to get a transcooler, so that's already on my list. But, what after that? I don't know a ton about transmissions, and truthfully I don't think I quite understand how they work. I considered a manual swap, but the day I build a dedicated track car I'll stick a T56 in it; this car is a DD, and traffic around here is a pain in the ass.

Can anyone fill me in on the Lentech valve bodies? I hear there's a manual one that can be placed in drive when you want. Also, is a shift kit still necessary (or J-Mod), or is that dealt with when you replace the valve body? Also, I assume I will promptly need a tune, even when I mate it back up to the factory engine.

Thanks in advance, sorry for the novel!

• Sponsors (?)