Some pictures of my toys...

Not to bring this back from the dead or anything, but I figured I would post up some more pictures of my parts/progress.

This is the only decent shot I've got of the motor torn down. I got it all torn down in 6 hours. Taking my time, being cautious, it was a snap. I was thinking how good I was doing until I tried taking the head bolts out with a 3/8" drive. Needless to say, after I busted my knuckle and I lost about a pint of blood, I got the 1/2" air rachet out. Those bolts didn't want to play with that thing. :D
teardown.jpg

As it says in my sig. I reconfirmed my belief that the car had GT40P heads on it. I'm pretty sure I am going to sell them...
gt40p.jpg

I snapped a few shots of the new heads before they get all carboned and nasty. For some reason, none of the intake port shots I got were worth a damn, so I got two.
chamber.jpg

exhaust.jpg

I wish I had an unported version of a GT40 manifold for comparison, but these are the shots of Tom Moss' ported manifold. I tried my best to do his work some type of justice. Hopefully he checks this thread out...

Note how clean the manifold is. In all seriousness, I wouldn't be afraid to eat off of it. He cleans it up very nicely. I also checked all the ports with a digital caliper that reads to the +/- 0.0001", and all of the ports are within 0.05" of eachother. That is craftsmanship at it's best.
manifold.jpg

port_1.jpg

port_2.jpg

port_3.jpg

port_4.jpg

Enjoy...

Joe

• Sponsors (?)

A 62 "Bubble" top Impala (if you know what I mean) with 4 speed and the 409HP 409 was my very favorite Impala of all. Too bad that back in the day the 409 dropped valves so easily -they got a bad rap. Thanks Joe for posting up those pics of my intake. I'm waiting for the REAL test of my work - the power part. I'm somewhat at the mercy of the combination that guys put together with my intakes, but those that do a good job normally see excellent torque across the rpm band.

GTJake said:
Looks good Joe! Did you pick up a degree wheel or did your dad already have it laying around? What's the ET until start up? :D

Jake
Thanks Jake. I've been busy with cousin's graduation parties all weekend so I haven't had much of a chance to get into it too much. I'm waiting on my old man to be with me while I pull the front cover. He's got all the stuff to degree a cam, so he'll be doing the degreeing part. After that, it's smooth sailing. I go on vacation next Saturday for 2 weeks, so I hope to atleast have it together, started, and driven around the block before I go.
tmoss said:
A 62 "Bubble" top Impala (if you know what I mean) with 4 speed and the 409HP 409 was my very favorite Impala of all. Too bad that back in the day the 409 dropped valves so easily -they got a bad rap. Thanks Joe for posting up those pics of my intake. I'm waiting for the REAL test of my work - the power part. I'm somewhat at the mercy of the combination that guys put together with my intakes, but those that do a good job normally see excellent torque across the rpm band.
Tom - most people have the same feeling that you do when my Dad takes it to car shows. They LOVE 62's, and then they see it's a 409 with a 4-speed, they LOVE the car. I'll try to pull it out of the garage sometime this week and get some better pictures of everything once my Dad gets all the ignition stuff done. I too am anxious to get the thing either to the dyno or the track. The car will be on slicks, so there is a possibility that I could bring home some very respectable times on the first time out, even in "un-tuned" form. I'd like to take the car to a dyno, but the closest one is Laroccas in North-central New Jersey which is about 2 hours away. The closest track around is Cecil county which is about 20-25 minutes away :D. It's a pretty easy decision :).

If you want anymore pictures of a certain area/part of the manifold, just let me know. I'd be glad to take more.

Joe

Joes95GT said:
He's got all the stuff to degree a cam, so he'll be doing the degreeing part. After that, it's smooth sailing.

Joe

You got that right! After I got the cam degreed the whole top end was assembled in less than two days.

Do you have any track dates setup yet? Have you made an appointment to get a flip chip yet?

Jake

GTJake said:
Do you have any track dates setup yet?
Na, once I get it buttoned up and the slicks mounted, I'll just take it down to the track on Wednesday or Friday night. It's only 25 minutes away. I can get there in 15 if I-95 isn't crowded. :D
GTJake said:
Have you made an appointment to get a flip chip yet?
Na, and I don't think I'm going to this year. I really shouldn't be spending any more money on the car this year. I actually shouldn't be spending any more money to buy the wheels and slicks, but I'm going to anyway :D.

The reason I wanted the flip chip was to get a tune on C10 to run at the track. Hopefully I won't need it to run 11's. :)
BlueOvalStangGT said:
Why did your car have gt-40P's on it?
The previous owner put them on the car with the stock intake manifold thinking that ALL of the power is in the cylinder heads. :rolleyes:

Joe