Some tuning advice for a newbie.

KrisHorton

Apr 22, 2005
Hey everyone. I'm ready to finally start modding my Mustang after enjoying it in stock form for about 3 months. One thing I keep reading about is the "Diablo tune."

Now, I'm new to the new car world. My previous cars were an 84 El Camino which was computer controlled, but primitive; and a 1971 Chevelle (www.lateral-g.net/horton,) which used to be old school but has since been modded to an insane degree, though still no real computer controlled parts.

So if I may ask, what is the Diablo tune and how do I go about getting it done? Do I have to buy the Predator myself and tune it or are there shops here in SoCal that can do it for me for their cost? Which way is better for someone who isn't familiar with newer technology?

Also, I have a Borla system coming for the car and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the 05 Borla kit. I'm just curious as all my prior experience with them has been great.

Thanks a million for any advice!
Kris Horton
www.carsbykris.com

• Sponsors (?)

Buy a Diablo GT from PartShopper.com with coupon code "stangnet" and follow the directions upon receipt of the tuner. The 91 octane tune that comes supplied in the tuner is great and a no brainer if you havent done any other mods.

I do suggest an intake kit to go with your tuner though, you'll be pushing 30hp more with that combo.

-Dan

cleveland said:
I do suggest an intake kit to go with your tuner though, you'll be pushing 30hp more with that combo.

-Dan

Thanks for the info Dan! As far as an intake, I'm holding off as I'm plan on running a ProCharger very soon.

Thanks again,
Kris

thought that it was best to put the carb in a box to equalize the pressure from the supercharger. if it was fuel inj. i would see the set up that is on it, but usually there is a box that encloses the carb, so there isnt pressure only on the inside of the carb and cause fuel leakage if there was a problem...

That's a blow-through setup, so the carb/hat setup is ideal. ProChargers are like that. Vortech superchargers have box setups. The carb is specially modded for the hat. That's the best explanation I can give right now as I'm not to familiar with other brands of s/c's.

I hope to have a ProCharger on the Mustang by the end of the month, but I hear they are pretty backlogged, so I might have to wait a bit.

Kris