Someone Come Save This Newbie!

Paulee

Mar 4, 2017
Hey all,

New guy here, I recently got a 1993 LX convertible in Metallic silver that I'm looking to do a GT swap on. Now I know a lot of people prefer the cleaner look of the LX and the weight savings but personally Ive always liked the GT. Ive found a guy locally who has a few sets of GT body kits (off GTs hes parting out) that he is willing to sell. He has asked $300US for a set, is that a good price? Also, what exactly is everything I need to make the swap, front and rear bumper, side skirts, fog lights? Do I need the GT side moldings, Ive heard theyre different than the LX? Do I need special brackets for the side skirts?

Someone school me on this haha, I plan on doing the work myself but I still haven't found a guide out there to this conversion or really much info

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

First off make sure you get the front fender pieces from a 92 or 93 gt because the wheel opening is bigger, there is also metal pieces that hold those and the side skirts to the car, there are 8 pieces that makeup the gt bumpers/side skirts, plus a front bracket for the fog lights, I'm not sure if the rear bumper braces are the same from lx to gt, and a wire harness for the fog lights.

Reactions: 1 user
First off make sure you get the front fender pieces from a 92 or 93 gt because the wheel opening is bigger, there is also metal pieces that hold those and the side skirts to the car, there are 8 pieces that makeup the gt bumpers/side skirts, plus a front bracket for the fog lights, I'm not sure if the rear bumper braces are the same from lx to gt, and a wire harness for the fog lights.

Do I have to order those metal brackets to hold the bumpers and side skirts from somewhere or can they be salvaged from the parts car Im getting the GT parts from?

Do I have to order those metal brackets to hold the bumpers and side skirts from somewhere or can they be salvaged from the parts car Im getting the GT parts from?
The brackets are riveted on. You'll have to drill holes in your doors, quarters, and fenders.

Last Model Restoration sells the brackets. You can use the old ones as long as they were removed carefully.

I'm assuming you'll get a used rear bumper, possibly from the same guy you're getting the rest of the stuff from?

I don't remember exactly how they attach at the rear, it's been a long time since fox bodies would come through the shop. I seem to recall something different about how they attach compared to the LX's.

Like Karthief mentioned, the '92-'93 fenders are a different size.

Are you going the whole works with the cheese grater taillights as well?

The brackets are riveted on. You'll have to drill holes in your doors, quarters, and fenders.

Last Model Restoration sells the brackets. You can use the old ones as long as they were removed carefully.

I'm assuming you'll get a used rear bumper, possibly from the same guy you're getting the rest of the stuff from?

I don't remember exactly how they attach at the rear, it's been a long time since fox bodies would come through the shop. I seem to recall something different about how they attach compared to the LX's.

Like Karthief mentioned, the '92-'93 fenders are a different size.

Are you going the whole works with the cheese grater taillights as well?

I checked out the brackets, theyre only about $10-20 so if they werent taken off right I can always get new ones. All the parts are used from the same guy, he has a few fox bodies he is parting, hopefully he can give me some insight as to how the rear bumper differs from the LX. So the rear and front bumper can come from an 87-93 gt but the side skirts have to come from a 92-93? I dont think im going to get the cheese grater taillights as I like the clean look of the LX taillights. Btw thanks for your help thus far!

That's pretty much what I remember. Mind you, my memory is from working in a body shop long enough to have been there when they were new. So, it's been awhile.

That should do it though.

Best way to do it is if your car is a 1993, make sure the parts come off a 91-93 GT. Then you'll have the correct fitting parts at the front fenders.

If he doesn't know year, the OEM parts usually have a VIN stamp on the front and rear bumper. One of the digits is a year code.

Door molding are different between LX and GT.

$250 for all the bumpers and side skirts would be good if they are in good shape, no tears or cracks. See if he has the fog lamp support bar as well.