Someone please help m,e determine the problem!!!!! HELP!!!

Crm99

Aug 31, 2005
:(
ok, i am new here and i just picked up a stock 99gt 5 speed

what can this be?

i push in clutch (all the way) when i put it in 1st there is a knock (loud) i feel it threwout the car? :shrug:
it kingda feels liek the drive shaft moved but it didnt i checked that ? can it be the clutch not griiping all the way??? or is it my tranny????

someone please suggest!!!

BTW i am in NY (brooklyn) any stang owners here? meets>?

• Sponsors (?)

Crm99 said:
:(
ok, i am new here and i just picked up a stock 99gt 5 speed

what can this be?

i push in clutch (all the way) when i put it in 1st there is a knock (loud) i feel it threwout the car? :shrug:
it kingda feels liek the drive shaft moved but it didnt i checked that ? can it be the clutch not griiping all the way??? or is it my tranny????

someone please suggest!!!

BTW i am in NY (brooklyn) any stang owners here? meets>?

I would suggest not driving the car and get it flat bedded to the dealer or local shop to have it checked out. Considering you just bought it, hope it at least came with a 90 day warranty.

thanks,
my stang has no warranty whatsoever
but i drove the car it was good till about 3rd time a stopped on a light when it turned green i applyd the clutch put it in 1st and there it is again.

so it happens just not all thi time (mostly after 10-15 min of driving)

Sounds like the clutch isn't fully disengaging with the pedal to the floor. How much free-play is there in the pedal? Have you tried lifting the pedal with your toe and then releasing it to adjust the cable?

Sometimes I get a minor clunk in the drivetrain on my 02 when I clutch in and put it in 1st. As others have said, the Mustang has some loosey-goosey tolerances in the various splines and gear trains from the clutch disc to the rear hubs all of which allow for some unrefined dump-truck (as I call them) noises at times. It's really nothing to worry about.

Is it when you push in the clutch? Or when you put it in gear?

Mine used to have a clunk when I would push in the clutch all the way and it eventually went away. I don't know what it was, but the car ran fine and the tranny didn't have any problems.

If it's when you go to put it in gear and it feels like it's in the tranny, then it could be your synchros are worn. But then again, you would have grinding when putting it into gear when your RPMs are up.

from the sound of it i'd put my moneyon one of two things. either like mentioned above the clutch is not all the way out (best guess is stretched clutch cable) or you are over throwing the tranny through the shifter (possibler fix is a steeda tri-ax, or MGW shifter. remember YOUR year t45 does not have built in shift blocks like the tr3650 does)

these are some fairly cheap things to do. i got an adjustable cable, and new quadrent for 90 or so, shifters are not too pricey and always a suggested first mod.

might be a cheap way to "self-diagnose" over taking it to a shop. but the othes are correct... there is potential for damage here.

Torinalth