speed density vs mass air?? help!!

bighack02

Nov 3, 2010
alright guys im going from a carb to an efi setup but ive heard different rumors about both the sd and the mass air which ould be better ? Im running a 306 full roller motor 1.6 rockers gt heads not ps theye been milled 25 thousandths triple angle valve job im running a 576 lift hydraulic roller cam 282 290 duration with a 112 lsa speed pro flat top pistons prolly forgetting some other stuff but can someone help me out with the speed density vs the mass air from what i understand you cant really use sd if your running a bigger cam unless you know someone who can flash your computer and completley retune it let me know on your thoughts greatly appreciated

• Sponsors (?)

Speed density should not even be a consideration.
Ya, there are some guys that have made it work with cams and extensive mods, but it takes a ton of work and trial and era.

Just convert the setup to mass air.

ok man the only reason i ask is because i had gottedn the computer but after running the number ive found it t be a speed density computer not a mass air computer its out of an 87 5.0

If with stock computer, go MAF.

Guys like me run aftermarket SD systems that are no comparison to the factory SD stuff.

The only way I'd go with an SD EEC4 is if I felt very comfortable tuning it myself.

Chris

yeah well thats a no go i have no way of tuning it i wouldnt even begin to know where to start... so maf is what yall are saying so what year model did they switch to maf from speed density was it 89 and 88 below was sd?