Sportlines+295's = cut tires

StangYellow

Founding Member
Sep 11, 2002
I have the Eibach Sportline spring kit, Tokico HP's, 18X10 rear's with 295/35 tires. When backing up over things, the rear tire hits the quarter panel, and shaves off the outside of my tire. I already replaced the tire once, and within 2 weeks of putting a new one on, it happened again. Anyone else have this problem? I also noticed my car leans to the right hand side in the rear, and has been like this even with stock wheels/suspension. My car just rolled over to 33K miles (2002). Any suggestions? I thought of rolling the quarters, buying Pro Kit rear springs, or getting spring spacers. Also, the Sportline kit lowered the rear more than the front, and it has had a year to "settle". Suggestions??

• Sponsors (?)

wow, thats weird. on New edge mustangs, the sportlines usually leave a pretty good size Gap in the rear..like about 3 fingers worth, and about 2.5 between the tire and fender. and thats with 255 45 17 which have the same overall diameter as the 295.
I remember before i took my isolators out, my rear sat just a tad lower than the front on sportlines, but for me it was actually an illusion. the problem was that it lowered it EXACTLY the same, even though it said 1.8/2.0 drop, and when a mustang sits exactly even fender gap wise, the rear appears to sit lower than the front.

My advice to you, since your car is leaning to the right, even before the sportlines is to get adjustable LCA. Its cheaper than new springs, you can control the ride height down to a decimeter and it helps you out on the 1320

I have the Eibach Sportline spring kit, Tokico HP's, 18X10 rear's with 295/35 tires. When backing up over things, the rear tire hits the quarter panel, and shaves off the outside of my tire. I already replaced the tire once, and within 2 weeks of putting a new one on, it happened again. Anyone else have this problem? I also noticed my car leans to the right hand side in the rear, and has been like this even with stock wheels/suspension. My car just rolled over to 33K miles (2002). Any suggestions? I thought of rolling the quarters, buying Pro Kit rear springs, or getting spring spacers. Also, the Sportline kit lowered the rear more than the front, and it has had a year to "settle". Suggestions??

295/35/___? 17's or 18's?

I have 315/35/17 on the back of mine with 17x10.5" and eibach sportlines, and tokico Hp shocks, and I had the exact same problem you do. Your car shouldn't be leaning, you either have a faulty spring or you somehow bent a lower control most likely.

Best thing to do, is take it to a body shop and have them roll your fenders.

p16482.jpg

How are all you people scraping? 315 35 17s leave a hideous wheel gap in the rear. even on sportlines, how are you guys managing to scrape is what i don't understand?

How are all you people scraping? 315 35 17s leave a hideous wheel gap in the rear. even on sportlines, how are you guys managing to scrape is what i don't understand?

mine isn't hideous...i have a nice drop on mine...but when going over a bump, the wheel/tire travels up higher inside the fender well and catches the lip of the fender.

View attachment 313064

View attachment 313065

No, actually yours doesn't look bad at all. Was the picture you took with the road at an angle or something? or does it always sit like that?

when i was considering 17x10.5, i never liked any of the ones i saw. The overall diameter of a 17x10.5 is less than factory, and on sportlines my 245 45 17s had about a 3.5 finger gap, but yours looks good. Maybe it's because it's not a deep dish

No, actually yours doesn't look bad at all. Was the picture you took with the road at an angle or something? or does it always sit like that?

when i was considering 17x10.5, i never liked any of the ones i saw. The overall diameter of a 17x10.5 is less than factory, and on sportlines my 245 45 17s had about a 3.5 finger gap, but yours looks good. Maybe it's because it's not a deep dish

actually the 315/35/17 and the 245/45/17 are the exact same size diameter.

the road was not at an angle it was a flat circle drive near a business complex where I took that picture.

ouch... been there done that. it sucks big time. my fenders were shredding my 295 BFG KD's every month or so :nonono:
Some brands of rims have offsets that sit the wheels out a little bit further than others...causing tire rub when the suspension travels up into the fender.

I replaced my sagging eibachs with roush springs in the rear to bring it up a little, and then i rolled my fenders.

Also, try going to a 285 tire size if you dont want to hassel. My Vredestein 295's fit like a 285 and have full clearance now to travel up and down without touching the fender.