Square Tire Setup

2VconeKiller

Nov 20, 2020
NC
Hi all, I'm new to mustangs but I've got my fair share of general car knowledge when it comes to modding and whatnot so I should be able to understand any advice given!

I recently purchased a 2001 GT. This weekend I will be doing a good amount of restoration on the car. All new calipers/rotors/pads/lines and front wheel bearings. I've already installed a UPR trick shifter so that I can shift into 1st and 3rd without punching the traction control button.

My next area of concern will be my wheel/tire setup. I'm currently on bullitt style wheels with 245F and 275R tires. The car has a decent drop on coilovers (not flush by any means) and I was curious if I could run an identical spec wheel/tire in the front that I do in the rear?

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome! You should have many options to run a 9, 9.5 or even 10 inch square setup. Depending on how low the cars sits, 18x10 square might be tough. But, more often than not, a 275 square setup will fit. Remember, you might need some steering rack limiters to keep the tires from rubbing the sway bar.

What size are your current Bullitt rims?

Reactions: 1 user
Welcome! You should have many options to run a 9, 9.5 or even 10 inch square setup. Depending on how low the cars sits, 18x10 square might be tough. But, more often than not, a 275 square setup will fit. Remember, you might need some steering rack limiters to keep the tires from rubbing the sway bar.

What size are your current Bullitt rims?
I saw how you fit 315's at stock height with the steering limiters. I'm hoping to do 275 square without the limiters if possible. I'm not sure of the actual rim width. I'll measure tomorrow when I take everything off to do the braking system.

2003-2004 cobras run 17x9 rims with 275/40/17 tires. The steering racks do feature limiters as well as revised lower control arms.

With 17x8 bullitt wheels, you are pushing it with a 275 on an 8” wheel. Really a 255 is ideal for an 8” wide rim. You can certainly run 275, but in hard cornering you might find the rim rolling over the wider sidewall a bit more.