Squeak when swerving back and forth. New rack and Pinion.

01Stang65

Jan 19, 2017
I am trying to get rid of a squeak in my front end when I quickly swerve back and forth. Just recently had a shop replace my rack and pinion. And now am having this squeaking issue. I don't think it is ball joints because i don't have a vertical wobble in the wheel, but could be wrong. In the two videos below you will be able to hear the squeaking sound with minimal wheel movement, as well as the entire rack and pinion shifting beneath the car. I am not sure if that play is normal, or if that is even the cause of the squeak. I cannot tighten that bolt any further.

Video of Squeak
Video of Rack and pinion Shifting

Thanks to anyone that can help.

• Sponsors (?)

I was not able to get your video's to work but the only squeak I have ever had in the rack was from the factory tie rod ends. My Tigger car's tie rods started squeaking at ~40k miles /~4 years old. Those were replaced under warranty by Ford with the same ungreaseable ones it that it had from the factory . My wifes 96 vert had about 90K when they started squeaking in 2018.

Reactions: 1 user
I was not able to get your video's to work but the only squeak I have ever had in the rack was from the factory tie rod ends. My Tigger car's tie rods started squeaking at ~40k miles /~4 years old. Those were replaced under warranty by Ford with the same ungreaseable ones it that it had from the factory . My wifes 96 vert had about 90K when they started squeaking in 2018.
Videos should work now. When they replaced the rack and pinion they installed to tie rod ends too. So I know that isn’t the issue.

That is the same sound my outer tie rods made when they “went bad”. Something isn’t right because I assume you didn’t have this noise before the rack was changed. Noise has to come from something they changed in my opinion. Are the outer tie rods greasable? If so I would see if you can add some grease to them and see what happens.

I looked at the other video and the rack shouldn’t move like that either. Something is wrong with the bushings or they did not reinstall the sleeve. I would take it back to the shop that did the work and have them look and fix the issues.

Damn straight the sleeve(s) is/are missing or the rack mount bushings are completely shot
Either way it is mechanic error
The squeak is the rack itself moving and not a tie rod end or ball joint
Most of those no good tie rod ends got replaced under warranty
Taurus Mustang and Explorer
The bean counter was in charge of the grease at ford

Damn straight the sleeve(s) is/are missing or the rack mount bushings are completely shot
Either way it is mechanic error
The squeak is the rack itself moving and not a tie rod end or ball joint
Most of those no good tie rod ends got replaced under warranty
Taurus Mustang and Explorer
The bean counter was in charge of the grease at ford
Some diagnosis, ball joints replaced still slight squeaking. Has to be the rack. Took the bushings out to find they are identical to oem and practically new. Now I’m stumped. Got that sucker tightened down too. Is there another mount to the rack that I’m not aware of?

Was there a metal sleeve inside the rack bushing? Bottom line the rack should not move at all like what you showed in your video.
Squeaking gone after breaking in the ball joints i guess. Or something like that. Either way squeaking is gone.

As for the play in the rack, there is a metal sleeve inside the bushing. I took both sides apart to compare them as well as some pictures online and both sides look normal. I have no idea what could be causing that play.

I agree it is a bit excessive
Without knowing the car or the thread I would sell 01stang65 new bushings
That said it needs to be pulled back apart and see what exactly is wrong
And the bolts are at 80 lbs torque first right?