• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-

Starting out modding...should I start fresh?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Synned
  • Start date Start date Sep 5, 2005
S

Synned

took tubgirl on a date and got banned
Mar 31, 2005
991
1
0
Philly
Sep 5, 2005
#1
  • Sep 5, 2005
  • #1
I wanted to buy a trickflow hci kit for around 2100 dollars, and I go to ask my dad and mechanic about it during a barbecue and the mechanic tells me he would not chance it on my stock 52k motor. I mean I know that 99% of you guys are going to say that he is nuts but what is the probability of something bad happening to my bottom end? I highly doubt anything right? It should be as reliable as stock. He told me I should buy a new shortblock but I also only have that 2k remember. What would you guys do? BTW This might not be for a while anyway. I still need to get other things out of the way (gears, tcc, exhaust, etc). I mean with 52k miles I bet some of you would tell me the motor isn't even broken in yet, lol.

Thanks guys
Joe
 

urban96

bubb rubb says:"woo woooooo"
Founding Member
Sep 24, 2002
3,464
1
69
Syracuse, NY
Sep 5, 2005
#2
  • Sep 5, 2005
  • #2
you could run a compression test on your current block to see how its holding up

i just did heads and stuff on my stock 127K shortblock

all the factory hone marks were still clearly visible, crank endplay was within spec, all the bearings looked good, and there was no crud in the oil pan so i didnt touch the stock shortblock

but every motor is different
 

RIO5.0

15 Year Member
Feb 16, 2001
6,892
8
128
N.H.
Sep 5, 2005
#3
  • Sep 5, 2005
  • #3
Mine had 65k when I added H/C/I...If the motor runs fine than I doubt you'd have issues with the kit, you know its state of tune and whether it drinks oil or has any funky noises to be concerned with, in that case you'd think twice...Very rarely will you hear of someone who does the H/C/I route and then it starts blowing oil or rapping or some chit...not at the 50k mark anyway..
As Urban mentioned look for visible cross hatching on all your cylinders and a relativley crud-free motor are positive signs its in good shape...I would change the oil pump also....its cheap money..
 

Venom351R

Founding Member
Apr 27, 2002
4,548
41
98
MAINE
Sep 5, 2005
#4
  • Sep 5, 2005
  • #4
Synned said:
and the mechanic tells me he would not chance it on my stock 52k motor.
Click to expand...


What a dumb ass, I supercharged mine at 118,000 miles. As long as a compression test comes out fine then your good to go.
 
S

Synned

took tubgirl on a date and got banned
Mar 31, 2005
991
1
0
Philly
Sep 5, 2005
#5
  • Sep 5, 2005
  • #5
Whats the easiest way to do a compression test?
 
B

bimmertech

New Member
May 3, 2005
1,123
0
0
merriam, ks
Sep 5, 2005
#6
  • Sep 5, 2005
  • #6
just did h/c at 120k and had cross hatch still on cyl walls, very little ridge at top, no sludge, very good condition. i would be finding a new "mechanic".
 

urban96

bubb rubb says:"woo woooooo"
Founding Member
Sep 24, 2002
3,464
1
69
Syracuse, NY
Sep 5, 2005
#7
  • Sep 5, 2005
  • #7
i think your mechanic might just want some $$ to build you a new shortblock
 

95CobraMike

Active Member
Apr 12, 2004
1,046
0
36
Lima OH
Sep 5, 2005
#8
  • Sep 5, 2005
  • #8
Synned said:
Whats the easiest way to do a compression test?
Click to expand...


take out the fuel pump relay/fuse, take out your spark plugs, and hook a compression test tool up to one cylinder at a time, crank the motor over a couple times get out and see if that cylinder holds psi...then repeat that for each cylinder
 

bubba-dough

Active Member
Dec 28, 2004
1,044
2
38
Indiana
Sep 5, 2005
#9
  • Sep 5, 2005
  • #9
Is this mechanic like 90? He must be, because only the really really old timers think 52K is scary miles, especially on a factory, stock motor. That motor has at the very least another 50k in it with your future mods. Go on with your original plans. P.S. I would find another mechanic, because if this guy screws something up he will tell you it was the mileage on the motor and not his incompitence (he will say "I told you so"). Good luck.
 
S

Synned

took tubgirl on a date and got banned
Mar 31, 2005
991
1
0
Philly
Sep 5, 2005
#10
  • Sep 5, 2005
  • #10
Thanks guys. THis guy isn't really my mechic, he is a friend of my dads and also a mechanic so we were just discussing it. So yeah I'll definitally do a compression test before I do HCI. Thanks guys.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

S
Best place to source power steering parts for a '67? (control valve, ram, hoses)
  • SophiaTatum
  • Jun 15, 2026
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Replies
2
Views
158
Classic Mustang Specific Tech Jun 18, 2026
SophiaTatum
S
W
Speedometer and shifting issues
  • wyatt-tetro891
  • Aug 17, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
6
Views
216
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 18, 2026
wyatt-tetro891
W
Ford truck engine swap issues
  • keel
  • Jul 7, 2026
  • Other Auto Tech
Replies
17
Views
527
Other Auto Tech Jul 13, 2026
General karthief
F
Ford 460 swap
  • Ford460
  • Sep 13, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
6
Views
261
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Sep 14, 2026
Ford460
F
B
Where to go from here on my build…
  • B0udreaux
  • Jul 14, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
8
Views
356
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jul 18, 2026
AeroCoupe
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?