Starts, Runs, THEFT Code Continually Blinks

PanozSVT

Nov 8, 2004
I have a '98 Panoz Roadster which has a '97 SVT engine and running gear, etc.

It just started flashing THEFT on the dash. Car runs fine. Theft continually blinks fast and does not stop.

Tried all 3 keys - same response.

I will run the codes next weekend when the weather is better, but does anyone have an idea?

About 3 weeks ago, I replaced the battery but have run it 4 times since without any light coming on until yesterday.
Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

It's probably the PATS acting up - can you tell us the number of times the "Theft" light blinks? The number of blinks translates to a code for PATS troubleshooting/diagnostics.

I don't remember the exact procedure, but IIRC, you turn the ignition key to the "on" position (don't start the car) and wait for the PATS "theft" light to display a series of blinks which will signal the exact PATS system problem...

G'luck.

Thanks for responding guys.

I went back in the garage and restarted the car and watched the blinking more closely. After about a minute, it started blinking once with a pause followed by 6 blinks in rapid succession ( 1 + 6 ). Remember that the engine runs fine throughout all of this.

I did some further searching on the stangnet website and was routed to this page for the 1 + 6 code explanation: Security - PATS

So, it looks like I have some type of problem with the connection between the EECV and the PATS box - " Faulty link between PATS module and EECV".

I know where the EECV is, but I'm checking to see where the PATS is located in the Panoz. Then, I can start running some continuity checks after I first make sure the connectors are plugged in securely.

If that isn't a problem, then I'll have the codes cleared and see if it does it again.

Thanks

I found the PATS module and it has a lot of wires coming into it an out of it, so tracing down continuity in each wire doesn't look like a reasonable option.

I originally thought that location of the PATS would be in the rear of the car and maybe I accidentally nicked a wire in a harness I moved over a bit, but this may not be the case now.

Does anyone know if PATS modules can go bad and create an error "blink" message like this?
Thanks

read this

SECTION 419-01: Anti-Theft — PATS 2003 Mustang Workshop Manual
DESCRIPTION AND OPERATION Procedure revision date: 03/18/2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anti-Theft —Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS) Printable View (11 KB)
The passive anti-theft system (PATS) contains the following components:

theft indicator
encoded ignition key
transceiver module
instrument cluster
powertrain control module (PCM)
standard corporate protocol (SCP) communication network
The PATS uses radio frequency identification technology to deter a driveaway theft. Passive means that it does not require any activity from the user. This system is known as SecuriLock® in North America, Safeguard® in the U.K. and PATS in continental Europe. This information can be found in owners literature.

The PATS uses a specially encoded ignition key. Each encoded ignition key contains a permanently installed electronic device called a transponder. Each transponder contains a unique electronic identification code, with over 72 million billion combinations.

Each encoded ignition key must be programmed into the vehicle's instrument cluster (the instrument cluster is also known as a hybrid electronic cluster [HEC]), before it can be used to start the engine. There are special diagnostic procedures outlined in the workshop manual that must be carried out if new encoded ignition keys are to be installed.

The encoded key is larger than a traditional ignition key. The key does not require batteries and should last the life of the vehicle.

The transceiver module communicates with the encoded ignition key. This module is located behind the steering column shroud and contains an antenna connected to a small electronics module. During each vehicle start sequence, the transceiver module reads the encoded ignition key identification code and sends the data to the instrument cluster.

The control functions are contained in the instrument cluster. This module carries out all of the PATS functions such as receiving the identification code from the encoded ignition key and controlling engine enable. The instrument cluster initiates the key interrogation sequence when the vehicle ignition switch is turned to RUN or START.

The PATS uses the PCM to enable or disable the engine. The instrument cluster communicates with the PCM over the SCP network in order to enable engine operation. The instrument cluster and the PCM use sophisticated messages in order to prevent a theft. The instrument cluster and the PCM share security data (when first installed together) that makes them a matched pair. After this security data sharing, these modules will not function in other vehicles. The shared PCM ID is remembered even if the battery is disconnected. The instrument cluster also stores the vehicle's key identification code even if the battery is disconnected. There are special diagnostic procedures outlined in this workshop manual that may be carried out if either a new instrument cluster or PCM needs to be installed.

All elements of PATS must be functional before the engine is allowed to start. If any of the components are not working correctly, the vehicle will not start.

PATS uses a visual theft indicator. This indicator will prove out for three seconds when the ignition switch is turned to RUN or START under normal operation. If there is a PATS problem, this indicator will either flash rapidly or glow steadily (for more than three seconds) when the ignition switch is turned to RUN or START. PATS also "blips" the theft indicator every two seconds at ignition OFF to act as a visual theft deterrent.

The PATS is not compatible with aftermarket remote start systems, which allow the vehicle to be started from outside the vehicle. These systems may reduce the vehicle security level, and also may cause no-start issues. Remote start systems must be removed before investigation of PATS-related no-start issues.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

read

DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING Procedure revision date: 05/14/2003

Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS) —Symptom Chart Printable View (11 KB)
Symptom Chart Condition Possible Sources Action
No communication with the instrument cluster
Central junction box Fuses:
5 (15A)
21 (5A)
34 (20A)
Circuitry
Instrument cluster
GO to Pinpoint Test A .

The anti-theft indicator is always/never on — no three second theft indicator prove out
Instrument cluster
Theft indicator
GO to Pinpoint Test B .

The vehicle does not start — theft indicator proves out for three seconds as normal
Less than two keys programmed to the system
Transceiver not connected/defective
Circuitry
Transceiver internal antenna damaged
NON-PATS key, damaged key or no code received
Partial key read of PATS key
Unprogrammed PATS key
CARRY OUT Instrument Cluster On-Demand Self-Test. RETRIEVE DTCs. If DTCs are present, GO to Instrument Cluster Diagnostics Trouble Code (DTC) Index. If no DTCs are retrieved, CHECK for other possible no-start causes.

No PCM ID stored in PATS
PATS/PCM ID do not match
Problem with SCP link
CLEAR the stored DTCs. CYCLE the ignition key from OFF to RUN. RETRIEVE continuous DTCs. If DTCs are present, GO to Instrument Cluster Diagnostics Trouble Code (DTC) Index. If no DTCs are retrieved, CHECK for other possible causes.

The anti-theft system does not operate correctly — the vehicle starts but flashes a fault code on the theft indicator at key on
Incorrect PCM calibration
GO to Pinpoint Test C .

Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS) —Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) Index Printable View (12 KB)
Instrument Cluster Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Index DTC Description Source Action
B1202 Fuel Sender Open Circuit ICM REFER to Section 413-01 .
B1204 Fuel Sender Short to Ground ICM REFER to Section 413-01 .
B1213 Anti-Theft Number of Programmed Keys is Below Minimum ICM GO to Pinpoint Test D .
B2103 or B1232 Antenna Not Connected — Defective Transceiver ICM GO to Pinpoint Test E .
B1317 Battery Voltage High ICM REFER to Section 414-00 .
B1318 Battery Voltage Low ICM REFER to Section 414-00 .
B1342 ECU Is Defective ICM REFER to Section 413-01 .
B1356 Ignition Run Circuit Open ICM REFER to Section 211-05 .
B1364 Ignition Start Circuit Open ICM REFER to Section 211-05 .
B1600 PATS Ignition Key Transponder Signal Is Not Received — Damaged Key or Non-PATS Key ICM GO to Pinpoint Test F .
B1601 PATS Received Incorrect Key-Code From Ignition Key Transponder (Unprogrammed Encoded Ignition Key) ICM GO to Pinpoint Test G .
B1602 PATS Received Invalid Format Of Key-Code From Ignition Key Transponder (Partial Key Read) ICM GO to Pinpoint Test H .
B1681 PATS Transceiver Signal Is Not Received (Not Connected, Damaged, or Wiring) ICM GO to Pinpoint Test I .
B2139 PCM ID Does Not Match Between Instrument Cluster and PCM ICM GO to Pinpoint Test J .
B2141 NVM Configuration Failure (No PCM ID Exchange Between Instrument Cluster and PCM) ICM GO to Pinpoint Test K .
B2143 NVM Memory Failure ICM REFER to Section 413-01
C1284 Oil Pressure Switch Failure ICM REFER to Section 413-01 .
U1147 SCP Invalid or Missing Data for Vehicle Security PCM/SCP GO to Pinpoint Test C .
U1262 Missing SCP Message J1850 REFER to Section 418-00 .

Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS) —Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) Descriptions Printable View (10 KB)
Expanded DTC Descriptions DTC Expanded Description
B1213 Less than two keys programmed to the PATS control. Use diagnostic card to run self-test on PATS functions in the instrument cluster. If DTC B1232, B1600, B1601, B1602 or B1681 are present, they must be serviced first. If DTC B1213 is the only self-test DTC, then cycle the second PATS key in the ignition to program.
B1232 Transceiver module antenna failure. Memory failure in the PCM or the instrument cluster.
B1600 No PATS key read by the PATS control. This can be caused by the PATS key, PATS transceiver, circuits between the PATS transceiver and the PATS control and/or the PATS control.
B1601 Unprogrammed PATS key. There is no issue with the PATS key itself, but the key must be programmed into the PATS memory (unless the maximum number of keys are already programmed). REFER to Spare Key Programming in this section. No parts need to be replaced for this DTC.
B1602 Partial PATS key was read. Make sure that approved PATS key (Ford, Rotunda, ILCO, Strattec, HUF or Valeo) is being used. Large metal objects, additional PATS keys, or devices used to purchase gasoline located on the customer's key ring can cause interference. Instruct the customer to keep such items from touching the ignition key during engine start. It is not necessary to remove the objects from the customer's key ring. Remote starter equipment can also cause this DTC. Remove any remote starter equipment close to the transceiver before conducting further diagnosis. This DTC can be caused by the PATS key or the PATS transceiver.
B1681 PATS transceiver module signal is not received by the PATS control. This DTC can be caused by circuits between the PATS transceiver and the PATS control, the PATS transceiver or the PATS control. Follow the pinpoint test for diagnosis. This can also be caused by using the incorrect transceiver part number. Make sure that the correct transceiver part number is being used.
B2103 Transceiver module antenna failure. Incorrect or nonexistent diagnostic data from the transceiver.
B2139 The PCM_ID does not match between the PCM and the PATS instrument cluster.
B2141 NVM configuration failure. PATS does not have a stored PCM_ID in memory (PATS PID PCM_ID=not STORED). If a DTC U1147 is also present, it must be repaired first. If a DTC U1262 is also present, attempt to repair the DTC. However, repair to DTC U1262 may not be required prior to repairing DTC B2141.
B2431 The ignition key (Lincoln LS only) was not programmed. This vehicle uses a special ignition key. Program a new ignition key, using the correct style key.
U1147 Indicates a communication issue between the PCM and PATS instrument cluster. This DTC cannot be caused by the PATS key, the PATS transceiver or the circuits between the PATS transceiver and PATS control. Whenever PATS has the DTC U1147 stored, there should be a DTC P1260, Theft Detected-Engine Disabled, stored in the PCM. Verify that DTC P1260 is stored in the PCM. If the DTC P1260 is not stored in the PCM, there is a power up issue for the PCM. (i.e. PATS is powering up at key ON/START, but the PCM is not. Therefore, PATS tries to communicate over circuits 914 and 915 and there is no response from the PCM.) Make sure that the PCM power and ground circuits are functioning. Make sure that the diagnostic tool can communicate with the PCM.
U1262 Indicates a communication issue between the PATS control instrument cluster and some other module. Do not carry out the PATS diagnostics if a no start is not reported or if the anti-theft indicator is not flashing rapidly at key ON. If the indicator is flashing, check to make sure the PCM is powered up and operating. If the PCM is not powered up or operating, continue with PCM diagnostics.
P1260 This DTC will be stored any time the PCM disables the vehicle because of a PATS issue. Whenever the PCM has stored DTC P1260, there should be PATS DTC(s) stored that require diagnosis.

Thanks for taking the time to create all the info in your messages!

It looks like my problem is: " The anti-theft system does not operate correctly — the vehicle starts but flashes a fault code on the theft indicator at key on
Incorrect PCM calibration
GO to Pinpoint Test C . "

Looks like it's a problem with the Power Control Module calibration, so I need to go to "Pinpoint Test C". Does your info show what this test is?

Thanks Again

PINPOINT TEST C: THE ANTI-THEFT SYSTEM DOES NOT OPERATE CORRECTLY — THE VEHICLE STARTS BUT FLASHES A FAULT CODE ON THE THEFT INDICATOR AT KEY ON
Test Step Result / Action to Take
C1 CHECK THE ANTI-THEFT INDICATOR FOR CORRECT OPERATION
Key in START position.
Verify the theft indicator proves out correctly.
Does the vehicle start once the theft proves out?
Yes
If the vehicle starts, VERIFY correct PCM calibration for vehicle. REFER to Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) manual Section 3.

No
GO to C2 .
C2 CHECK THE PCM DIAGNOSTIC CAPABILITY
Connect the diagnostic tool.
Retrieve and document continuous DTCs.
Enter the following diagnostic mode on the diagnostic tool: Clear Continuous DTCs.
Enter the following diagnostic mode on the diagnostic tool: PCM Self-Test.
Does diagnostic tool communicate with the PCM?
Yes
GO to C3 .

No
REFER to Section 418-00 .
C3 RETRIEVE THE PCM DTCS
Is DTC P1260 recorded?
Yes
GO to C4 .

No
VERIFY PCM power and ground. REFER to Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) manual Section 3.
C4 CHECK THE COMMUNICATION NETWORK

All's Well!!

Well, before I was ready to ask for the wiring diagram and get a new bottle of gin, I decided to reflash my chip. for over a year I've been running with a custom tune I made with Sniper Performance software. I did recently install a new battery, and I wanted to check to see if this may have caused the problem. So, I reflashed the stock tune and restarted the car - no THEFT code.

Then I reflashed with anothe chip tune and everything is fine now. Code is still gone. I was prepared to disable the PATS module and had another tune ready to install, but didn't need it.

Thanks for all the help.

FYI. I just had my '98 Cobra reflashed with Sniper. I deleted the PATS in the tune. The theft light will flash similar to what you are talking about but will go away after a period of time. I was on the Sniper forum and Sniper said that it is normal for this to occur because the ECU has been re-flashed but not the PATS module. They said just to pull the bulb but the PATS is definitely disabled. They said this feature was included in the software for swaps of the Cobra engine into other cars. So I thought this may apply to you.

FYI. I just had my '98 Cobra reflashed with Sniper. I deleted the PATS in the tune. The theft light will flash similar to what you are talking about but will go away after a period of time. I was on the Sniper forum and Sniper said that it is normal for this to occur because the ECU has been re-flashed but not the PATS module. They said just to pull the bulb but the PATS is definitely disabled. They said this feature was included in the software for swaps of the Cobra engine into other cars. So I thought this may apply to you.

Thanks - I'll remember this if that THEFT code ever comes back.

Actually, my engine is an SVT crate engine that has the proper Ford ECU, wiring harness, PATS module, etc.
Thanks

Hi, I'm looking for the other pinpoint tests, can someone post these. I sure appreciate the help. I'm troubleshooting a 2003 Mustang with a crank but no start issue. Thanks Rob

PINPOINT TEST C: THE ANTI-THEFT SYSTEM DOES NOT OPERATE CORRECTLY — THE VEHICLE STARTS BUT FLASHES A FAULT CODE ON THE THEFT INDICATOR AT KEY ON
Test Step Result / Action to Take
C1 CHECK THE ANTI-THEFT INDICATOR FOR CORRECT OPERATION
Key in START position.
Verify the theft indicator proves out correctly.
Does the vehicle start once the theft proves out?
Yes
If the vehicle starts, VERIFY correct PCM calibration for vehicle. REFER to Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) manual Section 3.

No
GO to C2 .
C2 CHECK THE PCM DIAGNOSTIC CAPABILITY
Connect the diagnostic tool.
Enter the following diagnostic mode on the diagnostic tool: Clear Continuous DTCs.
Enter the following diagnostic mode on the diagnostic tool: PCM Self-Test.
Does diagnostic tool communicate with the PCM?
Yes
GO to C3 .

No
REFER to Section 418-00 .
C3 RETRIEVE THE PCM DTCS
Is DTC P1260 recorded?
Yes
GO to C4 .

No
VERIFY PCM power and ground. REFER to Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) manual Section 3.
C4 CHECK THE COMMUNICATION NETWORK
97 mustang same issue as described ive done evwrything but my tranciever not getting power to it why?

97 mustang same issue as described ive done evwrything but my tranciever not getting power to it why?i even went to have new keys programmed and the pats is not getting any power and it has 2 antitheift modules one on driver side by fuse panel and one in trunk ?:(i dnk wht else to do starts up for 15 seconds nd theift light blink rapidly fir a minute and 20 second?