Stick vs. Auto (not that again!)

Tupperware

Oct 5, 2004
Raeford, NC
Okay, I've been lurking on the board here since pre-release of the 05 and am currently at a point in my life where I am seriously thinking about buying one. I would LOVE to get a manual GT, but I'm a bit worried.

This will be my first manual car. I've driven stick, but it's been quite some time so I'm sure the learning curve will be fairly steep (i.e., I'll pick up quickly), but I wanted some opinions.

Is this a car I should get as a "first manual car" or would I be better off getting the auto. for a car as powerful as this one is when I have limited experience with manual vehicles?

I apologize if I sound like a moron, but I want to at least TRY to avoid looking like an idiot when I attempt to drive my new pony off the lot.

/end stupid question

-Jake

• Sponsors (?)

with 300 hp and 320 lbs of torque, all you have to do is gently take your foot off the clutch. let the engine do the rest. this aint a 95 hp 4 cylinder motor, this is a real motor. it should be very easy for you to pick up the manual trans again with this car. dont worry about it. you can drive it in the back of the lot first where nobody else can see you first if you are that worried about it. i dont forsee a problem. GO FOR IT!!!

Dr_EluSivE said:
autos suck. Get a manual. Better milage, more fun, less maintence, better drivability, faster, cheaper, and you dont look like a pansy for driveing and auto. Its no contest.

Dr.

agreed!

an auto in a true performance car is like kissing your sister......... just ain't right or the same ;)

I would have agreed about not wanting an automatic in a Mustang... Until I started driving this new 5 speed auto... I was completely impressed by this tranny... It bangs the rediline on all the shift and it never misses... I've tweaked the shift schedule so it's a lot more agressive... Your right.. an auto will try to upshift way to early... Stock it will be in 3rd gear by 15mph! I don't come out of 1st until 20MPH at light throttle!

Here's a little display flyer I made for my car... I had a woman come up to me at a car show. She said "I can't believe you have an automatic in a mustang" I took about 5 minutes explaining the new 5spd auto... showed here how quick it shifts... how to change the shift shedule... She looked at me and said "You are the first person who has ever convinced me it's ok to have an automatic in a mustang"...

Oh... and here's a slow automatic for you... Lidio's GT running an 11.99...

Lidio

Attachments

• shift2.jpg
    shift2.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 158
romans8:28 said:
agreed!

an auto in a true performance car is like kissing your sister......... just ain't right or the same ;)

:rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh: :nonono:

Keeping in mind the fact that technology is getting more advanced, I am interested in opinions and discussion on the following:

Let's say that I opt for automated manual shift option in a Xtrac 360 Road Car Synchromesh Gearbox for my GT circuit car. It is a synchromesh transaxle suitable for mid/rear engined rear wheel drive sports and GT cars. Does the automated manual shift option via padle control like those used in F1, IRL, etc. make the "manual" less of a true performance car? I know the Saleen S-7 uses a longitudinal 6-speed all synchromesh transaxle. Being a mom, I would prefer an automated manual. Does this make my Saleen S-7 less of a beautiful performance car? :shrug:

Just interested because I think I feel the need to kiss my sister. :rlaugh: :nice:

Jennifer

Jenns05Stang said:
Just interested because I think I feel the need to kiss my sister. Jennifer

Can I watch?? :D :banana: :nice:

Just jesting...

Jake - Actually the 4.6 pulls so strongly that you don't need to give it any throttle at all when you let the clutch out. The clutch (I swear it's drive by wire but I've not dug that deep yet) is so smooth you can easily control it.

I would take a test drive of the stick car and see what you think..

One thing that I really like about the torque of this V8 engine is that I can lug it down to 25mph in 4th gear and it will smoothly accelerate like nothing short of a Cummins diesel engine.. Taking off in 2nd gear takes a little throttle but is easily managed. I don't make a practice of it though. If I "roll" a stop sign (2mph) I never put it in 1st.

You people had better be joking. If you can let the clutch out with out giving the car any throttle and it does not stall, then your clutch is slipping badly. Granted it may be possible when the car is cold and running rich and high idle, but SOP you should not be able to do this.

alfman9 said:
You people had better be joking. If you can let the clutch out with out giving the car any throttle and it does not stall, then your clutch is slipping badly. Granted it may be possible when the car is cold and running rich and high idle, but SOP you should not be able to do this.

Not slipping at all.. Sure - if you POP the clutch at an idle - it will buck and take-off or it will stall.
Cold / Hot / Warm - Slowly letting the clutch out at an idle will get the car rolling and with the TCS off I can punch it and light up both rear hydes..
I don't think it would do that if the clutch were slipping.. :D

When you get yours - check it out.. It's no joke...

Jenns05Stang said:
:rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh: :nonono:

Keeping in mind the fact that technology is getting more advanced, I am interested in opinions and discussion on the following:

Let's say that I opt for automated manual shift option in a Xtrac 360 Road Car Synchromesh Gearbox for my GT circuit car. It is a synchromesh transaxle suitable for mid/rear engined rear wheel drive sports and GT cars. Does the automated manual shift option via padle control like those used in F1, IRL, etc. make the "manual" less of a true performance car? I know the Saleen S-7 uses a longitudinal 6-speed all synchromesh transaxle. Being a mom, I would prefer an automated manual. Does this make my Saleen S-7 less of a beautiful performance car? :shrug:

Just interested because I think I feel the need to kiss my sister. :rlaugh: :nice:

Jennifer

I would offer that various technologies as it relates to transmissions/clutches/shifting systems etc, all have there place. A good example you gave was the "paddle shift" in F1 or the auto/auto clutch in drag racing.

My original response (sister kissing ;)), has more to do with the overall performance car experience and personality. To me the manual transmission is an intregal part of the overall experience. Along the lines of a rumbling/throaty exhaust note, aggresive styling, serious stance, two doors, etc.

IMO if you eliminate on of the critical elements, the overall performance car experience becomes similar but lacking.

scrming said:
I would have agreed about not wanting an automatic in a Mustang... Until I started driving this new 5 speed auto... I was completely impressed by this tranny... It bangs the rediline on all the shift and it never misses... I've tweaked the shift schedule so it's a lot more agressive... Your right.. an auto will try to upshift way to early... Stock it will be in 3rd gear by 15mph! I don't come out of 1st until 20MPH at light throttle!

Here's a little display flyer I made for my car... I had a woman come up to me at a car show. She said "I can't believe you have an automatic in a mustang" I took about 5 minutes explaining the new 5spd auto... showed here how quick it shifts... how to change the shift shedule... She looked at me and said "You are the first person who has ever convinced me it's ok to have an automatic in a mustang"...

Oh... and here's a slow automatic for you... Lidio's GT running an 11.99...

Lidio

How do you change the shift schedule? I have an automatic and anything I can do to help improve it, I am all for. Also, how much does it cost, how much did you have to put into it?

romans8:28 said:
I would offer that various technologies as it relates to transmissions/clutches/shifting systems etc, all have there place. A good example you gave was the "paddle shift" in F1 or the auto/auto clutch in drag racing.

My original response (sister kissing ;)), has more to do with the overall performance car experience and personality. To me the manual transmission is an intregal part of the overall experience. Along the lines of a rumbling/throaty exhaust note, aggresive styling, serious stance, two doors, etc.

IMO if you eliminate on of the critical elements, the overall performance car experience becomes similar but lacking.
When you live in Los Angeles and have to drive in the worst traffic in the country with the most registered and unregistered drivers you can tell me that an auto is a bad choice. Some people want the power and practicality of the auto and therefore they make a tradeoff. Not much is lost with the auto, if you really want a drag car give me an auto, for absolute consistency and a hole shot that's what you want. For Road Racing and AutoX the manual is what you need. I understand that the auto takes away from the experience of the car but sadly not all of us are able to experience the "whole" thing because our environment prevents it.

YoungStanger said:
When you live in Los Angeles and have to drive in the worst traffic in the country with the most registered and unregistered drivers you can tell me that an auto is a bad choice. Some people want the power and practicality of the auto and therefore they make a tradeoff. Not much is lost with the auto, if you really want a drag car give me an auto, for absolute consistency and a hole shot that's what you want. For Road Racing and AutoX the manual is what you need. I understand that the auto takes away from the experience of the car but sadly not all of us are able to experience the "whole" thing because our environment prevents it.

uh, I live in LA, and drive the traffic to work, and I have to pass through the 2 worst interchanges in the country. I would have passed on getting the Mustang if I couldn't get a manual. The clutch is light enough that driving in traffic isn't that bad. Heavy traffic is an excuse that girls can use.

Get what makes you happy, because when you drop around $30K for a car you don't want to regret any of your choices!

Definitely get what you want and make no apologies for it. They will both be fun to drive--guaranteed. Personally I went for the 5 speed, and I live in Atlanta where the traffic is almost as bad as LA. I was afraid I would get tired of shifting, but it's been the opposite. I love the feel of control you get w/ the power of the v8.

Nice responses fellas.

Romans, I agree with your rebuttle. If it is the experience that you are seeking then, yes. Manual is the way to go. However, we need to be wary when making a broad based statement that an automated transmission makes a car less performance. LOL :nice:

In the environment of experiencing the "seat of your pants" enjoyment with your full body and senses - manual shifting is the optimal experience.

Jenn

You know this may be a bit off topic and I'm sorry, but I felt like bringing this up. My car is auto and when I first saw the shifter I was actually kind of shocked. Is it just me or does the shifter look kind of chinsy. I mean it's this tiny little plastic thing in this big sports car. I mean every other auto I've seen in cars with an auto has this nice big sturdy shifter, but the mustang's is...well as I said above. I don't know maybe I'm crazy again.

Honestly I wish I got a manual. I was playing with one in a ford showrrom a few days ago. MAN I wish I got one. I mean the auto is easier to drive, and I've only driven manual once, but damn. And what pisses me off is that the first mustang I was gonna get was a black manual, but the stupid dealer traded it for a Ford Explorer!

Oh well. I love my car anyway! :D :flag:

YoungStanger said:

I live in LA too and battle the traffic on a regular basis. :notnice: I've got a 5-speed and while it is more work during heavy traffic I'm still glad I got it. If you want to "multi-task" (e.g. talk on the phone, eat, put on your makeup, etc.) while driving then a manual transmission isn't for you. If you want to feel the car you're driving, there is no substitute! :D

As far as "unregistered drivers" go, there is no correlation between unlicensed drivers and your transmission selection. :rlaugh:

I have an auto '95 GT. My son has the same, but the 'vert.

As for performance of an automatic:

My son has done a little tranny work. He has added a FR high stall torque converter, A tranny cooler, a Lentech valvebody, a TwEECer programmer (yup, the tranny in this model is electronic too) and a B&M rachet shifter, and gears (Autos generally have lower ratio pumpkins - my stock one is 2.73). With these changes, he destroys similar manuals (pretty much stock otherwise) at the track. The setup allows him to launch @3200, and he can row faster through the gears faster than a stick. This setup also allows him to add a performance cam easily. The AODE can be built up to withstand far more Tq and HP than the stock manual transmissions.

Automatics are quickly becoming the only option on a lot of cars. Technology is quickly moving forward on automatics, especially with electronics. Manuals will soon go the way of the pushrod engine. This is called "Progress".

My automatic is stock. I went out of my way to find a used one 5 years ago.
When I was young, I shattered my knee playing hockey. There is no way I could handle the clutch in a 95, my leg tires too easily. 3 weeks ago I tore my rotator cuff changing plugs on my car (Us old guys think we are still 25). If I had a stick, I wouldn't be able to drive to work. I also had hernia surgery on my stomach twice in 3 years. In both cases, I also would be unable to drive.

So, yes, I'll always get a 'Stang with an auto. Anybody wanting to call me a Wuss can come up here and tell me while we play hockey outside at -40* ... :D

MyBlueOval said:
I live in LA too and battle the traffic on a regular basis. :notnice: I've got a 5-speed and while it is more work during heavy traffic I'm still glad I got it. If you want to "multi-task" (e.g. talk on the phone, eat, put on your makeup, etc.) while driving then a manual transmission isn't for you. If you want to feel the car you're driving, there is no substitute! :D

As far as "unregistered drivers" go, there is no correlation between unlicensed drivers and your transmission selection. :rlaugh:
You forgot Road Head in your multi-task options. I wasn't saying unregistered drivers were the apart of the choice, just that there's a numerous amount of unregistered drivers to add to the registered drivers giving you an idea of how many people. So good comprehension there friend :rlaugh:

Dubl10 said:
How do you change the shift schedule? I have an automatic and anything I can do to help improve it, I am all for. Also, how much does it cost, how much did you have to put into it?

For around $400 you can pick up an SCT X-Cal2 with 3 tunes... The tunes will take care of a lot of things like throttle response.... Then you download a package called Extreme Tune from SCT (for Free). It allows you to make small changes to the tunes (your dealer needs to provide you with the .xtr files). One of the things it will let you do is change the shift schedule... simply drag and drop! I've customized my shift schedule to my likings... and I didn't even get my hands dirty! LOL!

Heres kind of a before and after screen shot...

Attachments

• shifts2.jpg
    shifts2.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 112