'Sticky' clutch pedal...

302GTS

If you need herpes, I'm your man!
Apr 20, 2009
Largo, FL
Recently, after having an MM clutch cable installed, my clutch has had an odd feeling at times... Usually it's after the car is cooled down, whether it be hours after driving it, or a morning after driving it. The clutch pedal literally feels almost like it's catching on something. It happens whether the engine is running or not. I plan on calling my mechanic who installed the clutch kit (about 3 months ago) and the clutch cable (about a month ago) about the problem soon, but would like to gather some more info if possible.

• Sponsors (?)

Look at the routing and watch it while someone else activates the clutch pedal (when it's likely to act funky).

What do you mean by it feels like it's catching on something? Does it click or does it feel like something is interfering with the movement?

It literally feels like it's gummed up or something, yet the cable is extremely new. I figured I could rule out the TOB because it does it whether the engine's running or not, so that settles that and kinda makes me think about it being the cable, especially since it only started doing it after getting that new cable put in - it was fine with the Steeda cable that was in there before.

JT, what do you mean about the routing? Of the cable, like through the headers/k-member and everything?

Yeah, that was what I meant about the routing, especially to ensure that it's not too close to the headers and that there are no sharp bends in its routing. If it was loading up, someone could actuate the pedal while you watch from under the hood. If the cable was binding and popping around a component, you'd probably see/hear it.

Yeah, that was what I meant about the routing, especially to ensure that it's not too close to the headers and that there are no sharp bends in its routing. If it was loading up, someone could actuate the pedal while you watch from under the hood. If the cable was binding and popping around a component, you'd probably see/hear it.
Gotcha, understood. I know our cars are picky when it comes to the cable routing, which is why I've always left that up to my mechanic. I'll be swinging by his shop my next day off to talk to him and hopefully the problem will show up at that time so he can see exactly what I'm talking about. I know it's a hard call trying to diagnose an issue with a description such as a 'sticky clutch pedal' :rlaugh:. Thanks a lot.

Popped the hood this morning after getting up - the cable was definitely resting against the driver's side header... The bracket that held the cable back had broken off of the fenderwell area where it was bolted to. :notnice: Rode down to my mechanics, showed him, he grabbed a bolt - from a Hyundai :D, and fixed it right up.