Stock Alt, recommendations for Replacement

69Fastbackstang

May 1, 2006
Hello,

I believe my stock alt is dying, doesn't charge at idle. I am looking for recommendations on replacements. I looked around and have seen alot of different alts. that I could use but not sure what would be the right replacement. Still have the stock charging system and wiring harness(69 Fastback, 351W). I do have a MSD igintion system, MSD6AL, dist. I also have a cd Changer, but everything else is stock. I will sometime in the future upgrade the stereo system, not too much, an amp, new speakers etc etc, not looking to win any stereo competions but definately more than waht the engineers in 1969 were thinking. Anyone who has done this, your insights would be greatly appreciiated.

Thanks,
Patrick

• Sponsors (?)

Put a Ford 3g alternator in your car and you will never look back. I has been argued between 3gs' and 1-wire style alternators. I like the 3gs' better because they offer some features that the 1-wire style alternators do not.

Is it comlicated to swap out the stock alternator with the 3G? Does it change the stock charging system? Like getting rid of the voltage reg? I just dont know much about the electrical part of the car.

Thanks,

Patrick

It will eliminate the stock voltage regulator, 3gs' are internally regulated.

I have been thinking making this swap too, but I don't understand a thing: my car has a voltage regulator that doesn't seem stock, well I really don't know, either way, what happens to the wires going to the voltage regulator? they need to be connected to the new alt? or they just dissappear?

One wire alternators stink for idle performance.

The 3g deal is the way to go. It'll make 100a at idle, plenty for your stereo, headlights, and electric fan. You can go find some random V-6 Taurus at a pick and pull and grab the alternator and fan while you're at it.

I'm presently researching my electronic ignition due to failing symptoms and it was either the Unilite or MSD web site that said to be careful of alternators that put out too many amps for your car's needs. It may damage your electronic iginition. Something to think about.

I'm presently researching my electronic ignition due to failing symptoms and it was either the Unilite or MSD web site that said to be careful of alternators that put out too many amps for your car's needs. It may damage your electronic iginition. Something to think about.

If you are worried about that couldn't you just put a resistor in line to the box to keep it from over amping the circuit ?

The alternator could "over-amp" the electronic ignition???? Not sure how that works. Over voltage could be an issue; but the internally regulated 3G alternator should lessen this likelihood, as long as the "I" feedback wire has clean connections (no significant voltage drop from the test point to the alternator). Any modern ignition box (or stereo amp) should be regulated well enough to draw only the current it needs; not everything the alt can pump into it.

(For 2nd mustang) This isn't like hanging a 5A Reg on some stinky little 12kf telco loop; where stations have to sink all the ma they get in order to drop enough voltage to wake up the switch. 13.2V is 13.2V; the equipment should just worry about its own current draw.