Stock AOD Question

MLee23

Dec 31, 2004
Wondering if I can upgrade my AOD before upgrading the engine? I'm looking to install a few PA (Performance Automatic) parts on my stock 90 GT - Just wondering if I need more HP to do so, or if I can get away with a stock 5.0L.
The PA Stall Torque Converter I'm looking at in the 2200-2400Rpm 12" Non-Lockup version & figured I'd try the Street/Strip Valve Body & Shift Kit from them as well. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Eventually, I'm looking to install the Trick Flow Street Top End Kit - So I need an AOD that will hold up. Also will be doing gears as well, any advice would be great! Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Wondering if I can upgrade my AOD before upgrading the engine? I'm looking to install a few PA (Performance Automatic) parts on my stock 90 GT - Just wondering if I need more HP to do so, or if I can get away with a stock 5.0L.
The PA Stall Torque Converter I'm looking at in the 2200-2400Rpm 12" Non-Lockup version & figured I'd try the Street/Strip Valve Body & Shift Kit from them as well. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Eventually, I'm looking to install the Trick Flow Street Top End Kit - So I need an AOD that will hold up. Also will be doing gears as well, any advice would be great! Thanks!

The converter really needs to match the motor, I'd wait on the converter till you do the motor youll most likely end up with a 10" piece, look at Edge Racing Converters, More Horsepower with More Torque Guaranteed! they are very good with the Ford AOD.

The valvebody and shiftkit is a good mod, along with a upgraded pan and cooler, and a servo. The rear gears will really help wake up the car, my vote is for a 4:10.

Awesome, thanks for the help guys...How will I be able to tell what size stall converter I need? I really doubt I'll be over 400+ ponies when I'm all done with it. I'm going to keep the stock 302 - Ordered my Trick Flow Top End kit...Some headers/catback exhaust, Cold Air & gears pretty much is gonna do it. Think I'll be able to get away with 2200-2400 stall?

I think the Street Edge would be perfect, give you good driving, great performance and not build as much heat as a high stall unit. Id shoot for 2400-2600 true stall