Stock Cobra intake

02 281 GT

Agreed...My wife has great Boobs
15 Year Member
Feb 3, 2009
Cabot, AR
I'm having an AFR 185 headed, 11:1 c/r 347 built this summer, and I was wondering if I would be seriously restricting my power up top if I stuck with the stock intake. Even if I had it port matched to the heads?

• Sponsors (?)

I'm having an AFR 185 headed, 11:1 c/r 347 built this summer, and I was wondering if I would be seriously restricting my power up top if I stuck with the stock intake. Even if I had it port matched to the heads?

I would think the best thing to do would be what I did on the other stang. I had the cobra lower and upper fully ported and polished with the upper being cut open runners ported and welded together again.

I believe it's Tmoss who ports intakes for us Stang nuts. As I remember, it's the Cobra lower that is the restriction, not the upper. So port matching the lower to the heads would be your best bet.

I have a stock Cobra intake on my 331 stroker with AFR heads and all the goodies. My tuner said the engine could def have better HP/TQ numbers but the intake is holding it back- acts like sucking air through a straw.

I'm happy with it, it is more for show anyway.

I think it is too small

Port matched would not flow as much as a full on port job

Even fully ported ... I have to think it would choke a 347 :(

Grady

I agree, but if you are willing to sacrifice 15-20hp to keep the stock intake, it will work. You really can't port the cobra intake too much.

Kurt

I'd mainly just like to stick with the stock intake because I like the stock look. That, and it would probably be cheaper just to port match the lower to the AFRs. If I don't stick with it I'll probably be going with the Edelbrock Performer RPM II.

The answer is definitely yes. You'd have a 210cfm intake on 260cfm heads so you'd be losing a fair chunk of power. Even porting the Cobra won't be enough so I suggest you go for an aftermarket intake.

Hi
It pricey but you could have it extruded honed it is pricey but if you like the stock look it would help a lot.

Just another option.. :) I'd like to see a comparison ... some dyno numbers before and after. Maybe next year :rolleyes: