Stock h or high flow h

gcstang

Mar 25, 2009
I see that there are more "X" pipes out there to chose from than high flow h's. Is that because the stock h has pretty good flow. The catted H are different than the X...H gives you low end tork, and the X mid to high end tork. Is that true?

• Sponsors (?)

If you get longtubes your going have to change to a different midpipe anyway... If you change mid pipe I would go with the x. I will give you better flow, and will increase HP and tq.. If you are planning on getting LT's just wait and do it then because youll have to get a shorter version of the midpipe.

I originally replaced my stock H with an X with high flow cats, but it always sounded way too raspy and nasty so I sold my X and replaced it with an H. I prefer the deeper grunt and burble of the H.

I agree. I don't know why there aren't more H options. There are for older generations. I had an off-road X on my '05 and I hated it. I have an off-road H on my '07 and love it. The X was too raspy and made the mufflers drone something terrible. There's only a couple HP difference between H and X, so it's more up to sound, for me, than power.

The reason is because for an X pipe all you have to do is connect the two pipes and Tadaaaa you have a free flowing cross chamber. An H requires test and tune if a company is going to make one to actually functions the way it's supposed to so when adding different headers etc... and scavange changes then the H wont work properly.

The deeper sound is what I'm serching for also. I heard a Stang with CAi and OR H pipe and wasn't too bad. But I was thinking of a catted H. Thanks for the input.

Spartaperformance, So there is more tech into the H than the X. I have notice that cars come with H's from the factory. Which is why I had asked before was it worth replacing if you were going with a catted H.
Thank you for the info.

Spartaperformance, So there is more tech into the H than the X. I have notice that cars come with H's from the factory. Which is why I had asked before was it worth replacing if you were going with a catted H.
Thank you for the info.

It's not worth replacing as most of the members post here. Yes there is more tech to an H vs an X. An X follows natural exhaust flow and scavenging, therefore all you have to do is connect the pipes and they naturally flow through to each other. An H is a cross flow, when developing an H manufacturers will make the mid pipe, run the car and where the heat build up is they will then make the H to optimize the effect. Aftermaket manufacturers can duplicate the factory one but when altering exhaust such as headers then you change where the H should be and as Scupking stated the S197 already has high flow catalytics so its not worth it.

I was thinking about going with an MRT catted H-pipe but I guess I won't. I really love the sound of my Steeda axle backs, going with an X would ruin the deep rumble the car has which so far sounds like no other mustang I heard. Guess that's money saved there :)

I've always wondered, why does the Mustang have to have an H or an X pipe at all? Why can't it have a true, completely separate dual exhaust set-up? Is there an emmissions reason that all Mustang mid pipes have either an H or X in their design?

I've heard of exhausts that are completely independent but never seen one before. I would think that a big part of the reason why there is a cross over other then any type of scavanging aid is to maintain structure in the exhaust pipes so they don't bounce all over the place.