Stock Intake

pumm3l

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Feb 4, 2003
Somewhere out there
I had my air filter changed when I took my car to get its oil changed and the idiot that put the new filter in had no idea what he was doing. It looked like he was having a hard time getting the hose connected back to the housing and finally he got it, or atleast I thought he did....the filter was sticking out of the housing a little and he ended up forcing the camp that holds everything together shut. I went to check my filter the other day to see if it needed to be replaced and to my surprise the hose won't connect fully to the housing new because the plastic warped out of shape. Will this have any negative effect with it not being able to close fully? the rubber around the filter on the one side is pretty much shot from being forced closed in there.

• Sponsors (?)

Im having trouble picturing which part is "warped". is it the tubing or the air fliter "box"? If they damaged it, I would speak to their manager about a factory replacement.

Nick

Re-alligning

Usually it's the latch that holds the filter box onto the MAS assembly that is sometimes troublesome to line up. This is most likely the problem. Just pull the latch back, and re-seat the filter. You will need to re-allugn the MAS assembly so that it fits snug against the filter box. There is a notch at the top of the box that you use for lining things up.

It's hard to say for sure if you will experience any problems related to the previous mis-allignment. Most likely not.

I would make sure everything is clean before re-alligning.

the problem isn't me putting a new filter in, this was back when I first got the car and I really didn't know that much about my engine so at the time I figured rather then screwing around with it cause it looked like a PIA just have him change it since the filter was dirty anyway....I can change the filter no problem now thanks to my trusty haynes manual heh, it's just the idiot that did it before screwed it up. To answer your question the the filter housing where the filter lip sits in is what warped out of shape only in one spot enough so that the clamp won't fit completely around the housing and the hose. Basically the clamp when shut fits around the housing and the hose on the top but on the bottom is not making a secure connection.

Here maybe this will help:

untitled.gif

the top part the clamp will close together but the bottom part can't close completely even after moving the filter around so it fits completely in the housing without sticking out.

On the bottom of the air filter assembly there is some type of lip that sticks out. The clamp has a slide in notch on it that the lip on the filter housing slides into. Unbolt the filter housing from the fender and take the filter housing off. Also take the MAF sensor from the inlet tube off. Assemble the MAF sensor and filter housing together and clamp them on then reinstall it to the inlet tubing, then rebolt the housing back to the inner fender. Hope that helps. If you don't get that lip into the notch on the clamp then it won't clamp correctly. Oh and take the silencer off and put a k&n filter in the filter housing. If you need a k&n filter I've got one that I can sell you cheap. I've probably got no more then 4,000 miles out of it before I bought my pro-m MAF sensor and pro-m filter.