Stock IRCM with Taurus fan

vristang

15 Year Member
Mar 31, 2005
Seattle
Trying to get the na 89 2.3 running, its been a couple years...
The stock fan was running slow, I could spin it with my finger and it would pick up speed, and eventually slow again. It was pretty warm, so the fan should have been commanded full on.
I have a fan from a Taurus I pulled years ago, and could install pretty easy.

Will the stock relay hold up with this fan?

• Sponsors (?)

What is the gauge wiring to the stock 2.3 fan? I remember they are a single fan. Is the Taurus fan not dual fans? I am a Contour dual fan guy, so not so familiar. I know the Contour uses 10 gauge wires and a 70 amp relay to power and operate both fans at the same time.

If your wire is this size and relay 60 amp or better, you should be fine.

One, the wiring ain't big enough. Stock wiring is I think 12ga. Taurus fan pulls enough juice to fry 12ga wire. Secondly the relay inside the IRCM isn't made to handle that much inrush current for the taurus fan and the relay will either weld or burn the contacts, then requiring a replacement IRCM. If you're dead set on the taurus fan, use the ircm to power a high current relay. Another option is a good fan controller. Or a better option, replace the OEM fan motor and use the factory ircm, wiring, everything. I think mine was like $30 for a new fan motor.