Strange 10 Way Adjustable Struts - Strange Things Happening

1200gt

Nov 29, 1999
Strange 10 way Adjustable Struts
I just got off the phone with the folks at Strange Engineering. As per their sales Rep and Engineering Department : They are aware of "Slapping Noise" that is often being reported by some users of their 10way Adjustable Struts. They cite the internal valve transferring damper and rebound to be the culprit for clunky noises when riding down the road.
I was completely surprised to hear that they knew of the problem dating wayyyy back at least to 2009, that I can recall in research. I was wondering why no one from Strange Engineering responded to any of the claims of this clunking noise suddenly occurring on customer's Mustangs who installed the 10 way Adj. Struts. IMO, I find their no-response to be a dis-service to customers.

The problem with this issue is, IMO, many folks are buying them and discovering that they have this problem, only to be told, in a few cases, to send them back for repair - probably by some un-informed Rep. at Strange Engineering. That is a direct "EXTRA COST" to the customer that is unnecessary, because Strange should inform all of it's sales representative of this issue being fact with that particular product. Frankly, I believe they should just list them as Drag Only, or at least indicated in their sales literature that road noise (clunking) is a likely possibility to occur from their use. I almost bought a set! I would have been mighty P&$@d if I received them, installed them and found them to be clunking on my car; especially so when the company knows of the issue.

I spent ours researching these Struts amongst others, and nowhere did I see a single input from Strange Engineering stepping up to answer any of the concerns of Mustang Customer who bought these 10 way Adjustable Struts. Nor did I find any official literature disclaiming the possibility of their product rendering these clunking noises once installed on a Mustang. Some guys were practically tearing their cars apart trying to figure out what the heck the clunking was coming from!

Hopefully this thread will serve to inform those of you who are possibly interested in buying this product. I'd say if you don't mind the possibility of riding down the road with your suspension clunking, then you may OK giving them a try.

All others, beware of these STRANGE 10way Adjustable Struts!

• Sponsors (?)

2 cents:

I ran Strange 10-ways on my practically new 2004 GT back in the day and they never made a peep. I think some people just nitpick things that 99% of the population would never notice.

I have the upr coilover kit on my stranges and not a sound either maybe they havent done something right on install i wouldnt s hit can strange like that on one ocassion

Reactions: 1 user
I had Strange struts on my 04 when it was lowered and it had a nasty rattle. Strange told me it was that the shaft that went up through the CC plate was a couple thousands smaller in diameter than a "stock" style replacement to allow for compatibility on all CC plates. On the other hand, I have had friends that had them and they didn't have so much as the slightest noise out of them. They performed great other than that slight noise.

I'm going to add to this thread with my attempt at curing the noise. I bought a car that had Strange 10-ways on it and the frontend made all kinda noises which I've been successful at eliminating all but one clunk. The car is stock height and has a UPR K-member with UPR lower A-arms and UPR Coilover kit with 14/175 springs with the Strange 10-ways. Here's my attempt at eliminating all clunking from the frontend.

1. Replaced bump steer kit that had spherical bearings with factory tie rod ends. Still made some noises but eliminated this one.
2. Replaced Maximum Motorsport CC plates with factory CC plates modified on my lathe to fit the coilovers. With this modification there is ZERO metal to metal contact from the strut to the frame and it's all factory stuff on top now and 100% isolated from the frame. Eliminated one noise but one clunk left.
3. Cut the UPR A-arm bushings off and welded larger bushings onto the A-arms. Still made noise.
4. Wrapped the coilover springs with fuel line to keep the springs from hitting the strut. Still made noise.
5.Wrapped strapping tape around strut so coilover sleeve can't rattle against strut. Clunk still there.
6. Wrapped strapping tape around top of spring to isolate it from the coil spring "hat". Clunk still there.

My conclusion is that the clunk is internal to the struts and I will probably sell these POS struts and put stock ones on it..

ks

I'm going to add to this thread with my attempt at curing the noise. I bought a car that had Strange 10-ways on it and the frontend made all kinda noises which I've been successful at eliminating all but one clunk. The car is stock height and has a UPR K-member with UPR lower A-arms and UPR Coilover kit with 14/175 springs with the Strange 10-ways. Here's my attempt at eliminating all clunking from the frontend.

1. Replaced bump steer kit that had spherical bearings with factory tie rod ends. Still made some noises but eliminated this one.
2. Replaced Maximum Motorsport CC plates with factory CC plates modified on my lathe to fit the coilovers. With this modification there is ZERO metal to metal contact from the strut to the frame and it's all factory stuff on top now and 100% isolated from the frame. Eliminated one noise but one clunk left.
3. Cut the UPR A-arm bushings off and welded larger bushings onto the A-arms. Still made noise.
4. Wrapped the coilover springs with fuel line to keep the springs from hitting the strut. Still made noise.
5.Wrapped strapping tape around strut so coilover sleeve can't rattle against strut. Clunk still there.
6. Wrapped strapping tape around top of spring to isolate it from the coil spring "hat". Clunk still there.

My conclusion is that the clunk is internal to the struts and I will probably sell these POS struts and put stock ones on it..

ks

I think most of the clunking had to do with the UPR coilover kit universal fit design. Most guys end up wrapping the struts in duct tape and that sometimes fixes it.

Regarding the MM CC, you can cut a thin piece of plastic- say from a 2 litre coke bottle and put that in between the CC plate and the shock tower and it stops the scraping.