Strange Struts 4cyl Or V8 Spindles

DomTiz94

Nov 12, 2016
I just ordered some Strange 10 way adjustable struts for my fox. Original 4cyl car and still has the 4cyl spindles. The mounting ear on the spindle is thicker than the v8 spindles and the struts will not fit on the mounting points at the spindle. Can I grind the mounting points down to fit the struts or should I swap to v8 spindles, brakes, etc..? If you can grind them down, do you take same amount off of both sides or just one side?? I think I read they are 1/4" thicker.

• Sponsors (?)

If you are talking about 4 lug brakes it's a bolt in affair, maybe different brake hoses now a 5 lug swap is a different story, for that see the thread on 5 lug swaps in the tech subsection for what you need, it's not difficult and many here have done it
The car has disc brakes/5 lug conversion all the way around and 8.8 swap already, it was done before I bought it. But when I measured the strut mounts on the front spindles they were 1" which is the thick 4cyl spindle width correct? I guess i need to figure out what parts were used in the swap??

Time out.

Not enough info.

What 5 lug setup are you running? What year/model struts did you order?

The 79-86 and 87-93 4cyl spindles are thicker than the 87-93 v8 and sn95 spindles.

Edit: thicker, not thinner

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Time out.

Not enough info.

What 5 lug setup are you running? What year/model struts did you order?

The 79-86 and 87-93 4cyl spindles are thinner than the 87-93 v8 and sn95 spindles. You shouldn't be shAving anything down, if you bought v8 struts, you should be having to add washers for a spacer with 4 cyl spindles.

On way the flange would be too thick is if you bought 79-86 or 4 cyl struts, and try to put them on the thicker v8/sn95 spindle

So...what do you have and what did you order?
Sorry I'm new to the mustang world! I ordered the struts for 87-93 fox. After looking into these they say they fit v8 cars only (different spindles than 4cyl). All the info I have read says the 4cyl fox spindles have the thicker mounting points. Should have done more research.. Anyway's, I definitely need to figure out the exact parts used in the 5 lug swap. Whats the easiest way to tell the difference in the spindles/brakes from the different years/cars?

Yes

You don't need to swap MC for the v8 brakes. Pistons are the same. Just needspindkes, rotors, calipers and lines.

Then you at least upgrade the brakes from horrible to mediocre