Stroker Kit.... Help

AnthonyR23

Sep 8, 2006
Ontario
Hi, please can someone explain a bit about stroker kits to me... 306, 331, 347 ... I plan on purchasing a top end kit as well ... preferably trick flow... anyways about the bottom end and stroker kits... I don't know much about them.. regarding longevity and power and finding a balance between.... is there benefits of 306 331 and 347... which would you choose... and why.. would a 306 stroker be better for longevity compared to the 347 kits.. and how much do you think.. If I take my engine apart and clean it myself.. would a shop charge to build the bottom end... with one of these kits... any info or advice would be awesome.. I am buying a engine stand and engine puller from canadian tire wed. its 40% off this week.. I will include pics of my project... but need to know what kit to order.. that is if I should order any... Thanks guys!!

• Sponsors (?)

Yep, a shop will charge you with assembling the bottomend. There is machine work they have to do as well.

A 306 is not a stroker. It is just a 302 "bored out" to clean the cylinder walls. It is not meant to add power. That is a common misconception.

Personally, if you have extra money for a good flywheel and balancer, I would do a 347 (1.175" tall piston and a 5.315" connecting rod).

Click on the first link in my signature and it will let you know all the differences. After you read it a few times, you will understand the 'jist of it all.

Good Luck!

Thanks 5spd GT, excellent post!!!!!! So after reading your post and info in the link you provided I think I will go with the 347, because I do have enough to invest in a new flywheel and balancer.. I trust the guy who I will have do the machining at his shop.. but just to be safe I will stick with what you recommend. (1.175" tall piston and a 5.315" connecting rod) I am kinda of doing this in stages and am not in a huge rush.. I want to try to do what I can myself.. So after disassembling the engine and cleaning.. I will purchase a 347 kit and drop it and the block off at the shop.. Is there anything I should worry about.. an ideas of what a shop would charge..?? $200? $500? 1000? Is the probe industries 347 street fighter kit good? rod length is 5.315 and it is 849.99. Is there anything else I'm missing..?? I think I would like to try to build the rest of it myself. With a kit from trick flow.. there pretty pricey though at around 2500 includes the heads, intake, and cam, timing, etc. Looking at a twisted wedge 360 hp kit for around 2500. Anyways any thoughs or suggestions from anyone are very appreciated!! Thanks again!

I know some people might thing I'm crazy, spending this kind of money, but it is pretty expensive to just drop a new engine into the thing. and I enjoy doing this kind of stuff. I think the guy before me probably really drop it hard... and I am excited to freshin it up.. but I kinda want to do a good job once, and then just baby it so it lasts. I'm really interested in getting a tweecer and tuning.. I have read that it is a steep learning curve but I am extremely interested in tuning and would really love to get good at it as a hobby.. I think I will have just as much fun doing that as I will driving it. I want to understand how the computer works.. to detail.. I find the data logging interesting.. During this build and when I am putting the engine back in the car I am going to do the mass air conversion while I'm at it... and while I have the intake apart because I believe there is a new sensor I have to put in for mass air. I may try to just buy the components of the trick flow kit on ebay if possible to hopefully save some money... and it doesn't neccessarly need to be trick flow.. I will add pics as I go for those that are interested..

Thanks 5spd GT, excellent post!!!!!! So after reading your post and info in the link you provided I think I will go with the 347, because I do have enough to invest in a new flywheel and balancer.. I trust the guy who I will have do the machining at his shop.. but just to be safe I will stick with what you recommend. (1.175" tall piston and a 5.315" connecting rod) I am kinda of doing this in stages and am not in a huge rush.. I want to try to do what I can myself.. So after disassembling the engine and cleaning.. I will purchase a 347 kit and drop it and the block off at the shop.. Is there anything I should worry about.. an ideas of what a shop would charge..?? $200? $500? 1000? Is the probe industries 347 street fighter kit good? rod length is 5.315 and it is 849.99. Is there anything else I'm missing..?? I think I would like to try to build the rest of it myself. With a kit from trick flow.. there pretty pricey though at around 2500 includes the heads, intake, and cam, timing, etc. Looking at a twisted wedge 360 hp kit for around 2500. Anyways any thoughs or suggestions from anyone are very appreciated!! Thanks again!

Anytime:)

I would look at machine work costing around $1000 for everything. Balancing, boring, honing, assembly, and measurements. It can vary from shop to shop. You could call them up and ask just a general question: How much would it cost me if I dropped off a rotating assembly and the block for it to be machined/assembled?

The kit from Coast High is a good budget kit.

With 347 cubic inches, you are going to get more than that 360 HP at the engine.

Here is what you need to do;)

The "kit" is just fine, but with a 347 (instead of a 302) you need to go with another camshaft. Preferrably a custom camshaft ($325 plus springs) from Ed Curtis at www.flowtechinduction.com. He does the majority of his contact through emails. Make sure you get the camshaft last so it can be "matched" to your entire combination.

By the way, this is what those kits include:

Trickflow H/C/I Combinations:

Street Heat Kits for $2,450:

TFS-K514-350-370 - Street Heat Intake/Street Heat Heads (smog provisions).
TFS-K514-350-370B – Street Heat Intake/Street Heat Heads, Black Upper Intake and Black Valve Covers (smog provisions).

That kit includes:

TFS-51402000 - Stage 1 Cam SWAP THIS OUT.
TFS-51400510 - 1.6 Ratio, 3/8" Stud, Set of 16
TFS-21406700 - Pushrod Set of 16 -6.700”
TFS-51400904 - Head Gasket Set
TFS-51400801 - Cast Valve Covers or TFS-51411801 for Black.
TFS-51400004 - Twisted Wedge/Street Heads, Assembled (Kit has Single Valve Spring)
TFS-51500001 - 5.0L Street Heat EFI Intake Manifold
ARP-154-3601 - ARP Head Bolt Kit
TFS-51400800 - Oil Fill Kit
TFS-51478520 - Billet Timing Chain Set
FEL-TCS45449 - Fel-Pro Timing Cover Gasket Kit

Track Heat Kits for $2,500:

TFS-K514-360-350 – Track Heat Intake/Track Heat Heads (no smog provisions).
TFS-K514-360350B – Track Heat Intake/Track Heat Heads, Black Upper Intake and Black Valve Covers (no smog provisions).

TFS-51402000 - Stage 1 Cam SWAP THIS OUT.
TFS-51400510 - 1.6 Ratio, 3/8" Stud, Set of 16, ask for 7/16” stud if wanted.
TFS-21406700 - Pushrod Set of 16 -6.700”
TFS-51400904 - Head Gasket Set
TFS-51400801 - Cast Valve Covers or TFS-51411801 for Black.
TFS-51400004 - Twisted Wedge/Street Heads, ask for track heat head upgrade confirmation.
TFS-51500001 - 5.0L Track Heat EFI Intake Manifold
ARP-154-3601 - ARP Head Bolt Kit
TFS-51400800 - Oil Fill Kit
TFS-51478520 - Billet Timing Chain Set
FEL-TCS45449 - Fel-Pro Timing Cover Gasket Kit

Now the Trickflow kits are good for a budget and you can still make some good power with the 347, but keep in mind there are some better designed/flowing heads and intake to get you more power.