Suggestions Welcome for next 3-5 mods...

95.0Stang

Feb 20, 2003
Kansas
Hey guys, my 2003 GT is very much a work in progress. I will be paying it off with my next payment, and was wondering if you could look at my mod list and make suggestions for my next few. Please dont recommend a supercharger, yes I want one, but I already know its a ways into the future, and not going to happen anytime soon...

17x9, 17x10.5 Black Bullitts BFG Sport tires in front Goodyear F1s in the rear
O/R H-Pipe
Magnaflow Catback
MM Full Length Subframe Connectors
MGW Short Shifter
Eibach lowering Springs
4.10 gears and SpeedCal (going in Monday 11/23)
Billet Interior parts
Tinted Windows
Mach1 Grille Delete and Chin Spoiler

Now I was thinking about getting Cobra brakes, Steeda UD Pulley, Accufab TB and Plenum, SLP LineLock, Nitto 555DRs or NT05 for the rear wheels...even thought about trying to buy a set of racing wheels, but I cant find the ones i want.

• Sponsors (?)

your on the stock shocks? Replacing those would be a no brainer and an easy install for ya. Don't know if your alignment is off from the springs but maybe a good time to add MM cc plates. I did a bumpsteer kit at the same time as well.

:shrug:

Perhaps I wasnt clear...the first list of mods are already done on the car...

O/R H-Pipe
Magnaflow Catback
MGW Short Shifter
Eibach lowering Springs
Billet Interior parts
Tinted Windows

I have, and LOVE my O/R H-Pipe and isnt really worth the extra $200+ to replace. I also already have a full stainless Magnaflow catback...not changing it.

Yes shocks/struts would probably be a good idea. As far as the alignment goes its pretty much spot on according to my mechanic, but it does pull to either side over rough pavement, but thats kind of expected I think. I am no suspension expert though. A strut tower brace would probably help.

I got the speedCal instead of a tuner because I dont see myself using a tuner all that much, and if it ever needed to be tuned I can take it to a dyno tuner. the gears are the only part of the tuner i would probably ever do on my own, so why bother with the whole package?

Drag radials, racing wheels and the line lock would be nice if you're going to be racing it a lot. The other stuff doesn't excite me that much - I'd start socking away that money for a supercharger if you think that's where you're headed. Shouldn't take you long to save the money if you put your soon to be liberated car payment towards that.

What annoys you about the car now or could make your drive more enjoyable? Address that.

Did you ever think about a new differential and axles while you're getting the gears installed?

If not I'd go with a new plenum and tuner. One of the biggest differences with my car was a Spec aluminum flywheel. I had it installed with a Hays clutch. Acceleration in low end rpm's is crazy, even just cruising. I haven't had a chance to test it out full throttle because of traction issues.

I thought about doing 31 spline but its going to be a long time before I ever get to the power range of needing that!
I've heard of people with drag radials breaking their stock axles with stock power levels. :shrug:
So if DRs are in your future I'd have some money saved for a new set of axles, or just install'em at the same time you do your gears while you have the rear end apart.

But in response to your original post, I'd get some stage 1 cams with a tune, and replace the stock shocks and bushings.
My 04 with 30k miles was showing some wear/cracking on the bushings, which is why I mention it.

:shrug:

Perhaps I wasnt clear...the first list of mods are already done on the car...

O/R H-Pipe
Magnaflow Catback
MGW Short Shifter
Eibach lowering Springs
Billet Interior parts
Tinted Windows

I have, and LOVE my O/R H-Pipe and isnt really worth the extra $200+ to replace. I also already have a full stainless Magnaflow catback...not changing it.

Yes shocks/struts would probably be a good idea. As far as the alignment goes its pretty much spot on according to my mechanic, but it does pull to either side over rough pavement, but thats kind of expected I think. I am no suspension expert though. A strut tower brace would probably help.

I got the speedCal instead of a tuner because I dont see myself using a tuner all that much, and if it ever needed to be tuned I can take it to a dyno tuner. the gears are the only part of the tuner i would probably ever do on my own, so why bother with the whole package?

i would do shocks n struts plus CC plates, and as far as the pulling on rough roads thats from the bump steer and should be addressed. sway bars are not necessary right now, besides the stock front is plenty stiff enough. a panhard bar will help a lot with keeping the rear axle planted firmly underneath your car instead of the lateral movement the straight axles are known so well for. if you want power i would do the TB n plenum plus pullies and a CAI if you dont have one yet.