Engine Supercharged Burping air from coolant system

breakfix911

Aug 16, 2007
Any help with this issue trying figure out why the funnel showing coolant this way (high and low and bubbles)? Coolant is not consistent. New parts (180 thermostat, water pump, radiator). bottom hose warm, top hot, temp at idle 180-190 while the burping is happening. Bubbling over doesn't stop or improve.

Did a radiator pressure test and there seems to be no more leaks besides a little amount driverside top side of the timing cover below thermostat housing.

See video below I've been search online for Supercharged coolant issues and can't seem to find anything relevant.

View: https://youtu.be/KTspKf5Hjj8

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

The video is not playing (probably my connection). So I am left picturing Supercharged Burping like my babies with reflux had. EWWW! I hope your car has a bib and a burp rag! ;-)

Even without the supercharger, 5.0’s often have a problem getting the air out of the coolant system quickly because the radiator fill neck is not the highest spot in the cooling system. More than one member here has Posted about having the front end on ramps or jack stands to raise it up for burping or air bleeding. I have idled for a long period with the cap off and slowly added coolant until it stops bubbling.
I’ve sold the Prestone
Coolant flush kits for other cars where the heater core hoses are the highest spot. The cap comes off to bleed the system of air in addition to adding clean water to flush.
With hard lines and short heater hoses, I do not think that’s the answer here, but there should be an easier way to bleed the air out by now.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey thanks for reply I've uploaded to youtube
View: https://youtu.be/KTspKf5Hjj8

the previous link from google drive

Hopefully it's not a blown head gasket. I'll be doing the compression and leak down soon. My feeling its lower intake sucking in air. Noticed that the slight antifreeze leak is coming from driver-side timing cover timing cover to the block coolant port above and behind the water pump. Faulty timing cover most likely any tricks to stop the leak without removing it off again.

Also, noticed yesterday before thermostat opened up there was no issues with bubbling up just few small gold fish bubbles ;D

I had a message not post, but I was going to suggest we ask @Blown88GT how to best diagnose head gasket failure in a blown engine. But it looks like you have a plan.
I would be checking my oil for coolant, doing the leak down test (with the air compressor and engine off, it should be easier to hear where the air is going). And a compression test. And you
You might as well plan on changing the timing cover gaskets, water pump, and get new front cover hardware with lots of antisieze for the threads and where steel goes through the aluminum cover. The standard grade bolts and studs are easily available in a kit, and I cannot remember who was selling the stainless stuff ten years ago that would be a wise upgrade. I have not seen a set of hardware that I really wanted to reuse on a 5.0 or a 3.8 timing cover.

Not a blown head gasket.
Did you get the correct reverse rotation water pump?
Spinning it the wrong way could cause cavitation, which is what the video appears to show.
Thanks for reply I'm not completely sure I just purchased a stock water pump from AutoZone for 93 5.0 and the belt and waterpump pulley going ccw. Before thermostat opens or gets hot(190-205) top/bottom hoses are soft and no bubbling over. This is within 15mins after different story top hose hot solid and bottom hose warm and squeezeable.

Could be the AZ idiots gave you the wrong one, unless you looked up the part number & told them what to get.
Chance I did n't place the pin hole in Thermostat that needs to be up north. My 160 has it not sure if the 180 thats in there does. I will be ripping this out soon to re-gasket the timing cover and checking the thermostat.