Engine Surging idle only on start up

keel

Aug 23, 2020
Seattle, Wa
A little background: got a 5.0 with a GT40 top end, TFS1 cam, and the emissions system deleted but everything else is stock (including the air box). Recently, the car started idling really rough and threw code 66 (MAF circuit below minimum voltage) so I replaced the MAF with the one from LMR and it fixed the idle and the CEL.

However, after replacing the MAF, the car now has a terrible surging idle but only when I initially start the car, it bounces between almost stalling and about 1500 RPM. Doesn't matter if the motor is hot or cold. I can calm it down with some throttle input, and then it goes away and drives flawlessly.

I also have a CEL that comes on but only at WOT, but then it turns off when I back off the gas pedal. (It didn't do this before replacing the MAF.)

Any ideas on what the problem could be?

• Sponsors (?)

Pulled codes and now I have code 56 stored. MAF circuit above maximum voltage. Not really sure what to do with that.

I also went ahead and did the base idle reset and it improved somewhat but I have a hanging idle and a high idle now.

I went through the easy part of that checklist already and probed the voltage between pins C and D on the MAF connector. Allegedly the voltage between these pins should be ~0.6V at idle, but I was reading ~1.1V, which seems like it could be a problem but I don't really know how much variance these things are allowed to have. Plus I have a cam so my idle is set a little higher than stock.

I didn't really understand the MPH to MAF voltage correlation since engine RPM at a given speed would vary based on what gear you decided to be in, and not only that but what rear gear ratio you have as well.

Could this mean I just got a bad MAF out of the box? Or is there a potential wiring issue?

The checklist directions say to do the steps in order, jumping around and doing 'the easy parts' may cause you to skip over the solution,
let me say this, a non-stock cam can cause some erratic info to the computer at startup, if it settles down after a few seconds and runs fine likely is just the system taking a second or three to get the results it needs.
I would do a base idle reset, reset the computer (part of the base idle procedure) and drive it putting some miles on it.

The part of the checklist I completed was the first step.

I think I will try getting another MAF from an auto parts store since I can just return it if nothing changes. Judging from online reviews it could be possible I just got unlucky with a bad MAF, they are reman and Motorcraft doesn't make them anymore unfortunately.

Any recommendations on brands for stock-style replacements? Looks like a Blue Streak one is pretty readily available.

Changed out the MAF I had originally off of LMR for a Blue Streak one from the auto parts store, and there was no significant difference, so I returned the Blue Streak one and concluded that something else must be the problem. Could potentially be a wiring issue.

Still working on this, but it seems that the more I drive the car, the better it behaves. It has never taken the ECM anywhere near this long to "relearn" after changing something on the car, but it's definitely not out of the realm of possibility that it just needs more time to figure things out.

A little background: got a 5.0 with a GT40 top end, TFS1 cam, and the emissions system deleted but everything else is stock (including the air box). Recently, the car started idling really rough and threw code 66 (MAF circuit below minimum voltage) so I replaced the MAF with the one from LMR and it fixed the idle and the CEL.

However, after replacing the MAF, the car now has a terrible surging idle but only when I initially start the car, it bounces between almost stalling and about 1500 RPM. Doesn't matter if the motor is hot or cold. I can calm it down with some throttle input, and then it goes away and drives flawlessly.

I also have a CEL that comes on but only at WOT, but then it turns off when I back off the gas pedal. (It didn't do this before replacing the MAF.)

Any ideas on what the problem could be?
Youre gonna need to know when to spray the fuel from the injectors into the intake and also gonna need to modify the lil holes in your butterfly in your TB with a slightly larger hole.

Knowing when to spray the injectors is a fine art with aftermarket cams especially ones with alot more overlap than stock because you can literally throw fuel out of the exhaust or even overheat the intake valves by not taking advantage of the atomzation off of the hot valves which also cools them ..

This is gonna require a tuning chip to accomplish as youre gonna need to change idle settings and tailor your maf transfer and injector size etc....

Most try to bandaid the issue by advancing the distributor and turning the throttlestop screw which throws off all calculations based off of load and causes you to be a slave to doing frequent battery draindowns and idle relearn procedures..........

Right now when you look at a stock cam vs the stage 1 camshaft the overlap between the two its evident that with a stock injector timing table youre puddling up fuel inside your plenum right now and if you remove the upper intake will probably find its all wet.

Screenshot 2024-06-25 142854.jpg Screenshot 2024-06-25 142827.jpg Screenshot 2024-06-25 145459.jpg

My injector timing settings are all changed from the stock setting above and I had to raise my highslope in the injector setting by 5 points just to smooth out the injector pulsewidth with the 255lph fuelpump in the fueltank and the reason why I run the 255 is because I have a water seperator filter aswell as a couple super microfine fuel filters one for the engine and the other for the N20 and never want to guess an issue as being fuel related especially when Im running very safe....LOL

Screenshot 2024-06-25 161949.jpg

You'll also want to run in Open Loop..... Screenshot 2024-06-25 153956.jpg

I just went through a similar issue except I have the tuning chip and couldnt get idling smoothed out enough without leaning it out then when the adaptives kicked after entering closed loop so I had to force it into open loop and then get the fueling worked out manually.

Heres a logfile from a direct startup then doing the bandaid way of upping the timing and t-stop screw just to see what happens......

Screenshot 2024-06-25 173235.jpg Screenshot 2024-06-25 173504.jpg

In the final stages of my tuning was to slowly back down the TB throttlestop screw until I got the idle I wanted as the ratch followed no problem..

I couldve backed out the throttlestop screw a tad more to put the IAC to more work but I like when the rpm's dont dip down alot better as it gives crisp flawless shifts with a manual///.......This below was one of the logs that was in phase with setting idle and AIC/ISC......

Screenshot 2024-06-25 040916.jpg Screenshot 2024-06-25 153131.jpg

I went from a 1/16" stock pin hole in each throttlebody flap to slightly larger 1/8" holes in both flaps and changed the injector timing table to match the camshaft events of my camshaft plus turning on closedloop to get the idle smoother than I ever imagined..

Screenshot 2024-06-25 173606.jpg

In my old 89 Mustang w/347 w/vortec I had to drill the throttlebody flap hole to 7/32".

Your ECU has a backflowclip setting allowance for a stock engine...On a modified engine you want to adjust this so its not an issue...

Screenshot 2024-06-25 143651.jpg

All values on the lefthand column is my tune and the ones on the right highlighted are the stock settings....

My new idle settings for my camshaft recommendations are custom set in the ECU to 800rpms with all other parameters changed and raised accordingly so proper calculations can takeplace alot faster..

When you raise the idle just by turning the throttlestop screw is all wrong as theres many parameters that must match the new idle needs in order for the ECU to calculate and function correctly and make your engine run as efficiently as possible...

Screenshot 2024-06-25 143843.jpg

Screenshot 2024-06-25 143521.jpg Screenshot 2024-06-25 143536.jpg

Seeings 800rpms is 128 rpms over stock setting everything in alot of parameters must be raised by that same 128 or calculations will be way off at WOT...

Screenshot 2024-06-25 143913.jpg

The other things needed to change was rpm gain multiplier in ISC which I changed to all 2's and it stops the wicked idle swings and surging....youll also need to lower the IAC opening in the ISC transfer section asell as adjust the a few other parameters to get your A9l to adjust correctly..

That big checkmark doesnt work very well with aftermarket camshafts.........LOL

Screenshot 2024-06-25 143503.jpg

I also did some rescaling of the parameters too to custom suit the modified non-stock combo...

Screenshot 2024-06-25 143625.jpg Screenshot 2024-06-25 143556.jpg Screenshot 2024-06-25 143611.jpg

Im running a 70mm MAF Cardone #74-9518 from a 94 T-Bird with a twin 35mm TB that came stock on the 351w engine I put in my 89 but slightly modified..

One good thing about that MAF is it doesnt care about the injector size due to the ability to run on vehicles with both 19lb injectors and 36lb injectors and also found out that it has no problem running on 24lb injectors aswell as after you get the fuelling more better you can finetune the MAF airflow which can be done via this way with a method called a MAF autotune..

Screenshot 2024-06-12 013009.jpg

But like I stated if your fuelling isnt good this wont work because adaptives must be abled and also so does closed loop mode....

Good Luck

Last edited:
Jesus...lots of these cars are running with no chip on a HCI swap with a bigger MAF calibrated for the bigger injectors. Something else is going on here. Drilling a hole in the blade of the throttle body is a band aid for a problem. Tuner did that on my car and I tossed the TB, installed a new one and found the problem. You have to have a closed PCV system with the mass air so no open oil fill caps and no vacuum leaks.

Not really sure how drilling a hole in the TB is any different from just using the idle stop screw to crack it open slightly more than stock to help stabilize my idle. Sure the computer measures throttle position, but as long as TPS voltage is set correctly the computer can store a "closed throttle" TPS value from a pretty wide range, and it will do this every time I start the car. I don't see how the computer would be able to tell the difference.

I understand that modifying my engine without tuning the ECU is not going to lead to perfect results, but the reason I kept my set up so simple and so mild was to keep it easily serviceable and hopefully as reliable as possible. I'm not willing to chip my A9L even though I know I am leaving some power and efficiency on the table by leaving it alone. I know lots of people have good running 5.0s with nearly identical modifications so it is definitely attainable without tuning.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Tuner drilled mine and idle was :poo: from day one. Removed it, installed the new one, base idle reset and problem went away. Once you put a hole in it there is no going back. Does it work? I would say yes. How well does it work and is it the right way to do it? I would say no being Ford did not fix them that way that I know of.

There was a recall on them due to a fire hazard. They have issues with the metal part separating from the plastic part and wires getting hot. Most if not all of Fox Mustangs have had the ignition switch replaced once and some a couple of times. Examples of failures:

Melted wires and connector:

1719494360631.png

Plastic part and metal part separation with zip tie"fix":
1719494402785.png

• Useful