Fox Suspension Help

5.0muscle

Dec 26, 2013
Hi I am new to the forums here and I am looking for some help. I have a 1989 Mustang Gt and am looking at starting to upgrade it now that I am making more money. I just finished rebuilding the engine and the next area that needs to be taken care of is the suspension. I am considering going with koni yellow front and back but am kind of at a loss for what to go with them in the way of springs subframe connectors, all of it. Also a few years back I read an article in a mustang magazine about this exact kind of rebuild but for the life of me I cant seem to find the article anymore. Any help in either area would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome to the site. You'll get a lot of usefull information here.

My advice. Go to the Maximum Motorsports website and read up. They have a wealth of information and the staff are very helpful. They make the best suspension parts out there. They are also running deals of the day and you can get some good discounts now.

If you want to do it in one swoop, get the grip in a box. If you want to piecemeal it out, buy their full lenth subframe connectors, rear lower control arms. If you plan on lowering your car over 1", get their CC plates. For springs, I personally like the Steeda and H&R springs over Eibach or Ford Springs. If you want the best handling car and have the money, get front coilovers and a matching set of rear springs and shocks- not coilovers. You'll get differrent opinions on what brands. It depends on your budget and use.

Bravo for considering suspension mods in addition to engine mods. You can't go wrong with the aforementioned MM stuff no matter what you intend to do with the car, but still...what DO you intend to do with the car? How will it be driven, and under what conditions? Koni yellows are excellent, but they would be overkill if it's just going to be a cruiser with fairly soft spring rates. If you plan on stiffening the spring rates, lowering it, carving some corners with it, how much do you plan on spending and how much work do you care to do?

Thank you both for the responses. I'll get the work question out of the way first. I am planning on doing all the work myself except for any possible welding, the engine I have so far just rebuilt as stock and before I get into that too much I want to do the rest first, get the car rdy to handle speed before I give it the speed. I have access to pretty much any tool needed to do the jobs. Secondly, for now the car is just going to be a DD but Im wanting to maybe get into track days or something later after I have been at it for a while, also I just like the stiffer ride and better cornering as I tend to have a heavier right food than most even in day to day driving. I will most likely be buying the parts piecemeal and installing them as I get a set together so that everything goes on fresh as a unit.

My car is mostly just a cruiser now since I have another daily driver. Here's what I did on my suspension about a year and a half ago.

Front: Tokico blues, 01 bullitt springs, MM C/C plates, poly isos, poly control arm bushings, moog ball joints, poly end links and sway bar bushings. Rear: Tokico blues, 01 bullitt springs and poly isos. My next
round will be MM full length subs, rear upper and lower control arms and a strut tower brace.

The front is a lot tighter than factory and it does kick the back end out which should be corrected in round 2. As stated above it just depends on what you want to do with the car.

My car is mostly just a cruiser now since I have another daily driver. Here's what I did on my suspension about a year and a half ago.

Front: Tokico blues, 01 bullitt springs, MM C/C plates, poly isos, poly control arm bushings, moog ball joints, poly end links and sway bar bushings. Rear: Tokico blues, 01 bullitt springs and poly isos. My next
round will be MM full length subs, rear upper and lower control arms and a strut tower brace.

The front is a lot tighter than factory and it does kick the back end out which should be corrected in round 2. As stated above it just depends on what you want to do with the car.

I'm goingwith the near identical setup, except for Steeda springs.. Your car is sitting higher in the front due to the bullitt springs and the iso's. Try removing the poly iso's from the front. You may need to cut 1/4 of the dead coil off them.