Sve 5.0 Top End Kit

tamadrummer88

Aug 19, 2005
Aloha State
So i was doing some looking around on latemodelrestoration.com for some stuff for project Hawaii 5-OH (ill get some pics up in the thread tomorrow!) and came across this:

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-6049C-K/1987-93-Mustang-50L-Top-End-Engine-Kit

I know this isn't for probably way down the road, when extra funds allow, but this is almost 1k less than the TFS Track Heat kit. Anyone know the quality of the parts? Judging by the stuff i received from them, i wouldn't expect less than stellar. I know I'm gonna have to budget probably another grand or so for supporting mods/fuel system/stuff that can break but a decent H/C/I swap with all mods for under 3k seems pretty attractive.

Opinions?

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

The only thing I don't like is the intake. Its an old eddy performer copy which unported flows about as well as an explorer intake. It also has a mounting bolt inside the plenum that makes installing it a beast.

The only thing I don't like is the intake. Its an old eddy performer copy which unported flows about as well as an explorer intake. It also has a mounting bolt inside the plenum that makes installing it a beast.

Yeah the Edlebrock Performer 5.0 intake is currently on my car right now, Install wasn't horrible and I have no idea if it made any difference over the stock intake I had on because it's still not running lol

All the Eddy Performer intakes I have ever seen had a bolt you put in from inside the manifold. You sure you didn't forget to put a bolt in?

Kurt

All the Eddy Performer intakes I have ever seen had a bolt you put in from inside the manifold. You sure you didn't forget to put a bolt in?

Kurt

Lol, if I did I was completely oblivious to it. I guess I will check it next time it comes off. However, the next time it comes off it will not be going back on.

Joe

Ah, okay guys, thanks for the heads up. I guess ill keep looking at piecing something together. I have an idea for heads and a cam. Whats a good all-around intake manifold? I really love the cobra manifold but its not produced anymore :(

Don't get me wrong I think that's a great deal for an entry level kit but if you spend a little more you can find something that will be a better deal.

It sucks here. Snow and ice everywhere. I have to get to work in Detroit tonight, so I've got to get to the airport sometime this afternoon too. Not looking forward to it.

I didn't see anything on the upper plenum in those instructions.

Kurt

So i was doing some looking around on latemodelrestoration.com for some stuff for project Hawaii 5-OH (ill get some pics up in the thread tomorrow!) and came across this:

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-6049C-K/1987-93-Mustang-50L-Top-End-Engine-Kit

I know this isn't for probably way down the road, when extra funds allow, but this is almost 1k less than the TFS Track Heat kit. Anyone know the quality of the parts? Judging by the stuff i received from them, i wouldn't expect less than stellar. I know I'm gonna have to budget probably another grand or so for supporting mods/fuel system/stuff that can break but a decent H/C/I swap with all mods for under 3k seems pretty attractive.

Opinions?

Thanks!

I'd keep an eye on it, there is only one person that has reviewed it and they haven't even received it yet (which is annoying, why post a review if you haven't even got it, installed it, and drove it). I'd wait for some more reviews, maybe somebody will post some dyno results and reliability/quality of parts. I don't like being anyones guinea pig at the expense of $1900 of my hard earned cash.

Why does it say it comes with an frpp cam then list the specs for a tfs cam?

Me personally, i hate generic parts. If any of it was name brand quality stuff, they would have said it in the ad. They wouldn't mention a cam name and not a head name if they were good.

Crap aluminum heads always land up costing more than good ones in the long run.

Reactions: 1 user
Why does it say it comes with an frpp cam then list the specs for a tfs cam?

Me personally, i hate generic parts. If any of it was name brand quality stuff, they would have said it in the ad. They wouldn't mention a cam name and not a head name if they were good.

Crap aluminum heads always land up costing more than good ones in the long run.

According to the advertisement, we're to believe that the cylinder heads and intake manifold are SVE brand. Although we all know they bought the out dated designs from someone else and replicated them. Just like name brand vs. store brand food, you can taste the difference. SVE finds short cuts to reduce cost and sell it for less but those short cuts will be in quality of heat treating, CNCing and finishing ports.

I'm not going to assume this is a poor top end kit. It may be just OK and that's why it costs less than other kits. I'm glad SVE does this as this provides more options for people that can't afford TFS, Edelbrock or a Holley top end kit for $1k more.

to me, that kit just screams professional products, aka makers of (cheap) edelbrock ripoffs, especially that intake. you could probably piece together your own (used) version of the tfs kit, plus some supporting mods, for that price. or a new tfs kit is only about 800 more.