Swapping Out Stock Maf For Aftermarket Worth It?

aztecgwynn

Apr 3, 2015
Well I have a 93 mustang LX aluminum Edelbrock performer heads, scorpion roller rockers, shorty headers, BBK cold air intake and off road H-Pipe.
Car gives me no issues at all maybe hung idle once every 3 months but its my daily driver and love this car so much fun to drive. I would like to buy Eddy performer intake, bigger throttle body but know it may never be possible because of yearly emissions here in Maricopa Co; and failing emissions or standing watching vehicle in booth while car is put on rollers to do emissions terrifies me!
I have also done tuning on car but thought it was a waste of $400 as tuner could only squeeze 236HP out of car. I thought it would be more.
But my question is would changing to a bigger MAF from Pro M give me more HP?
I don't think changing to bigger Pro M MAF will affect emissions but it is good bang for buck $$$$$$$?

• Sponsors (?)

Are you sure you have Edel aluminum heads? I dont know why anyone would swap heads alone... At your power level, a MAF will not be a big bang for the buck. Aftermarket upper and lower intakes will help tremendously over the stock set up.

But then at that point you will need bigger fuel injectors and a larger MAF calibrated to match the larger injectors. My advise is to save your money until you can afford those things all at once. A new cam shaft to match the heads and intake would optimize the combo, but you really start getting into a parts list at that point (hardened pushrods, new lifters, timing chain set, water pump, etc)

stock intake, cam, TB, MAF, but they swapped out heads? :scratch:
still have 19# injectors?
the biggest choke point is your intake-
For a budget build I would take the intake, throttle body off a 93-97 V8 Explorer and then get a 94-95 mustang GT 70MM MAF.

Reactions: 1 user
thanks for responses!
I love the "Are you sure you have Edel aluminum heads" that is classic and funny!!
Yes I had heads done a few years ago and it was a HUGE difference between stockers!
mikestang63 I thought about that 93-97 V8 Explorer manifold but manifold requires tap and drill for sensor and I do not have tools for that kinda work. I also can't find definite or concrete threads or posts regarding 94-95 mustang GT MAF; it seems 50/50 good and not good.
I want too change manifold but emissions has me so worried I just don't want too take a chance on it, that is why I ask about Pro M MAF.
Thanks again for responses!!!

Is this car a daily driver? Is it kept in a garage?
I ask, because, the answers to the above are no and yes, then, put Grundy/Hagerty etc. insurance on it as a special interest car/collector, and never do emissions again, and save a bunch on insurance annually.
Having said that, intake/tb/mam will go through emissions just fine... especially if you are running stock cam/emmissions equ./4cat pipe.
From a local board (Phoenix)...

Just about anything can pass the sniffer test, read here.

#1 Post by Byrdman » Wed Aug 27, 2003 6:13 pm

Yipeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I made the following changes from normal:
- Used a short h-pipe with 2 new high flow cats.
- Re-installed smog pump (hooked up), egr valve (not hooked up), and charcoal canister (hooked up to the tank).
- Made tailpipes out of flexible tubing from Checker and Autozone. I also drilled five 1/2" holes in each one.
- Unplugged one injector.
- Leaned it out 10% and dropped timing 3-4 degrees across the board.
It passed EASY:
HC 0.64 out of 1.60
CO 3.12 out of 15.00
NOX 0.97 out of 2.50
Woohoo. frig emissions jackolantern government jerks.
For all you nancies out there that are worried about passing emissions with some wimp ass motor, here's what I just passed with:
10.8:1 306
Ported TFS TWs
Holley intake
1 3/4" Hooker longtubes - my O2 sensors are WAY back, right in front of the tranny crossmember.
30# injectors
75mm tb
Large custom cam (236/242, .555/.576, 109).

That was a pretty hot 306 back in the day... ran 11.7's at 117 in a convertible... at Speedworld (which is now closed but was in Whittman... Grand and ~320ave)

thanks for responses!
I love the "Are you sure you have Edel aluminum heads" that is classic and funny!!
Yes I had heads done a few years ago and it was a HUGE difference between stockers!
mikestang63 I thought about that 93-97 V8 Explorer manifold but manifold requires tap and drill for sensor and I do not have tools for that kinda work. I also can't find definite or concrete threads or posts regarding 94-95 mustang GT MAF; it seems 50/50 good and not good.
I want too change manifold but emissions has me so worried I just don't want too take a chance on it, that is why I ask about Pro M MAF.

Just making sure you hadnt bought the car used and were told it had the heads... Snatch up a used intake, some 24 lb injectors, and a pro m maf calibrated to the 24's and have fun without worry. That should net you a good gain, and still pass the sniffer.

thanks for responses!

Pay someone the $20 to tap #5 pad for the IAT sensor. done
the manifold has an external EGR like your stock one so you keep emissions.
You have bad advice on the 94-95 MAF. It works fine I've run it on several cars