Swapping Radio Back To Original

Hi all,

First time posting on here - got a 1994 SN95 V6 Convertible and I am looking to swap the aftermarket Sony radio that has been fitted to it for the original unit once again, and possibly the CD player that came with these as well. It's really picky but the existing aftermarket system has a 10 CD Changer in the boot in a really annoying place so I want it gone. I also don't like the stereo either as it has a permanent clock display that can't be turned off. So I want to take it out and go back to the original unit. I used to have a 94 GT Convertible a few years back and that had the standard stock set up and it was perfect for my needs.

I have done some removal of what's already there and this is what I have found.

Firstly, behind the lower storage slot where the CD player would go...

Behind Storage Tray.JPG

These 2 are just hanging there and not connected to anything. So are they for the factory CD Player? I would say yes, apart from a quick look on eBay for the CD player shows the square connector on the back of it, but not necessarily the flat grey one - the hole seems a bit more "rectangular" than "flat" as the connector is.

And now to the actual head unit itself. Firstly, I have 2x flat "Ford" connectors that go to black and brown plugs. I am assuming that these are the original Radio connectors with an adaptor as, in the 2nd photo below you can see brown and black connectors going into the ISO ports on the back of the Sony unit and these do indeed route back to the 2x "Ford" connectors mentioned here and shown below...

Brown and Black.JPG

Rear.JPG

Now, looking at the above (note the Antenna cable has been removed as it is a pain in the ****), you can see the brown and black connectors mentioned above into the ISO socket - easy.

A quick Google and trawl on the Sony website suggests that the red and white cables are the audio from the CD Changer and the black cable on the left is the "data" link to the CD Changer so they can be ignored.

But I think I am a cable missing... Again our old friend Google shows me that the back of the original stereo has the flat connector, but only 1 and there is also a square connector as the one I have spare on the lower section - does that make sense? But then further probing found a radio that may be the one - a F4SF-19B132-AB LT58.

However, I can't find a CD player that has the flat connector type like I seem to have - assuming of course that that is indeed the CD connector behind the cubby hole thing...

Thanks in advance for any help and guidance on this.

Regards

Tim Watts

• Sponsors (?)

Hi all,

So I have decided to revisit this having now spotted a couple of OEM radios for sensible money so am revisiting this.

I have just whipped out the aftermarket one again and had a look at what's lurking behind once more and this is what I've found...

So, firstly, the existing radio is on 2x grey and black connectors that come in on a single loom that disappears off to the right behind the dashboard. These have ISO converters on them to plug into the Sony unit and look like this...

Existign.JPG

But then, I spot that I have 2x more sets of 2x connectors as per the below - another set of black and grey and another that is a grey one but then a black squarer one. These all go into the same loom (same as each other, but different to the loom that the above are in) that appears to go down into the dashboard somewhere. None of these are currently connected to anything and are just hanging around free...

Others.JPG

Then I wonder what this is. It's metal and looks a bit like an Amp. But I don't think the car has ever had the Mach 460 system as I don't have the tweeters on the doors near the mirrors. This metal item is located below the storage tray I have that is situated beneath where the CD player would go in the 460 system.

Amp.JPG

What I want simply is to be able to take out the stereo I have and replace with the stock one. But where to plug it in? I have found a possible replacement on eBay which is a...

NewPartNo.JPG

... which looks right.

The connector on the back of this is as per the below...

NewCon.JPG

... so I would assume that this would take the existing ones that are into my ISO adaptors instead and off it goes. Interestingly, there are only 7x pins there on the left-hand side, but I assume that is not an issue as the connector block will still fit over it ok?

Can anyone confirm that my thoughts are correct and maybe shed any light on why I have so many connectors in the car?

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Regards

TMW

I have a 2000 Mustang GT with the Mach 460 sound system. The original radio had a separate CD player. The connectors to the CD player look exactly like the pictures posted. One square and one rectangle.

Sooooooooooooo If you assume that two un-connected connectors are for the CD player and that the connectors with the after market adapters are for the radio does that leave any "left over" connectors?

I get the feeling that you may be over thinking this. IF the replacement radio has come from the correct model year this should be a simple matter of disconnecting the after market adapters and plugging the original Ford connectors back into the Ford radio. It makes perfect sense to me that there will be two left over connectors that should go to a CD player that is not present.

Why not give it a try? Ford is usually pretty good about making connectors that don't interchange where they are not supposed to.

Hi,

Do you know what, you're probably right. It makes sense - if it's out of the right model car and that is what I have, then it should all fit fine. I think I will go for it and order the one I have found.

Looking at your other question, if I put aside the CD connectors and also the Tape player ones, what is left. There would be 2x connectors remaining, in the form of...

Spares.JPG

These are located to the right-hand side of the radio hole, actually to the right of where the CD player would go. So what are they for???

And, final question, if I manage to get hold of a CD player with the connectors as shown on it, will it just plug and work based on what I have, or do I need to upgrade to the 460 system as well to get this to happen?

But I will start with the tape player and go from there...

Thanks for the response.

TMW

Right, I've taken the plunge.

Auction ends on eBay in less than an hour and I am the only bidder - it's been listed a few times before so am hopeful.

Then the wait for it to arrive...

Then the hoping it works. Well, it does work, as it is photographed working, more that it plugs in and works in the car!

Wish me luck for all!

TMW

Good news, everyone - international shipping from Bulgaria to the UK was extra quick and it's arrived about a week earlier than predicted.

And it's been connected - and it worked! See below...

Radio.JPG

So, now I have this success, time to think about the CD Player as well.

As mentioned before, I have the connectors below lurking as spares and I am assuming that these are for the CD Player that should go there - is that correct?

CD_Connector.JPG

I know the CD Player I need looks like this...

New_CD_Player.JPG

However, I can only find them with the connectors below...

New_Connectors.JPG

Now, it's possible that the square connector I have might fit the smaller one above, but the longer one does not stand a chance.

Is there a CD player that is a direct replacement, or are the converters available to take what I have so that it will fit into the above ,or is the whole thing just a non-event?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

TMW

I worked as a tech at a Ford dealership from 1993-1996, so I saw a lot of these cars.. I could most certainly be wrong about this (it's been a LOT of years now!)But, I do remember the Ford radio head unit you've installed (think it was made by JBL?) I do not remember very many cars having that CD player. Seems to me many more had the 10 disc changer (can't remember the brand- wanna say Sony? It was Gold in color if I recall correctly) So, you may be switching out what you think is aftermarket, but was actually a factory (or dealer installed) option... BUT, to each their own, and, it is a much easier thing to swap one disc up front than 10 in the trunk..

As I recall, the 10-disc changer hung in the middle of the trunk opening when you opened it- indeed in a clumsy place.

Hi,

The single-slot CD player was definitely there in the GT models (I used to have one) and is shown in the brochure as well - the Mach 460 sound package had it. Don't remember seeing a CD Changer in the options list - I have the brochure at home so will check it out, but I'm sure that it's not there - single slot only.

TMW