Switch dash clock with radar/laser detector display...

will_95gt

Jul 27, 2004
Austin, TX
So, I have an extra dash clock lying around and have an interesting idea. What if i removed the clock computer and fabb'ed in the front screen of a radar detector to replace the clock?

There is plenty of room under the clock (its pretty much a hollow area i think) but I might have to angle the radar detector upwards in order to get a fit. Another potential problem is that I'd have to hunt for a detector with the majority of its switches/buttons on the front screen rather than the top or side of the detector (since the top/bottom/sides will be hidden).

Its an interesting idea though and I think it would look super clean.

What are y'all's thoughts? Do you think it would have a little more trouble picking up signal if the majority of the detector was hidden in the dash?

Heres a quick picture i made to show you guys whats I'm imagining in my head.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a311/will4fang/dashradar.jpg

Basically a less knight rider version of that^ lol

-Will

• Sponsors (?)

try to find a cheap one and take it apart to make it fit. usually the stuff comes apart so you can remount the parts where you need them to be. i want to do this with my wideband when i get it.

On the expensive side of things........just a thought:

There are radar detectors that are "stealth" models in that the sensors are capable of being installed on the front/read/sides of the car. The visual unit on something like this could possibly be placed in the clock area. I've seen pics of a couple Ferraris and possibly a Vette that had something like this installed. Supposedly these well placed sensors are much more effective.

Pretty cool in that the driver could mute/cancel the display to keep it quiet or hidden. For the most part, nobody would be able to tell you had one. I've heard some stories that cops will particularly gravitate towards someone with a detector and/or be much less likely to hand out a warning IF they spot a radar detector inside the vehicle. A "stealth" detector could be hidden from the cop (or anyone looking inside the car) at the push of a button.

I've wished that Mythbusters would include the Rocky Mountain Radar Jammer in their tests, but I think if the unit actually worked, they would never be able to air the results.

I think for a standard Radar Detector, I'd see what could be done with a Valentine One unit, as they seem to get the highest praise.