T-5 Input Shaft questions

My T5 stripped second gear a few weeks ago and I'm without a Mustang durning prime mustang time so,

My T5 input shaft has an 87 year date on the trans, will that input shaft swap into a 4cyl T5 out of a 84-86 turbobird? I know endplay will have to be reset but thats easy.

Is the 4cyl T5 a lighter duty trans or is it identical save for the input shaft with the smaller pilot?

Any help would be great as otherwise the Mustang is going into storage for the rest of the year if I cannot fix it for cheap.

Basically, would I be wasting my time trying to piece something together?

• Sponsors (?)

I know they are not the same, but a 4cyl trans will not bolt up to the v8 even with the v8 bell, the pilot bearing is smaller diameter and longer, which would interfere and not support the input the same.

I'm more or less asking if the counter gear ratio is the same to stick a v8input shaft in the 4cyl trans so I can run a 4cyl trans for the rest of the year, as otherwise I have no trans. I would figure this outmyself, but the guy wants 100$ for the 4cyl trans, and I don't really want to spend 100$ if it won't work, because then I'll be over 450$ in junk t5's.... :)

Just run the 4 cyl trans. They make a pilot bearing that fits. Do search for 4cyl T-5 and it should come up. The transmission will bolt up to a V8 T-5 bell, it will not bolt up to a V8 SROD tranny(4 speed).

I ran quite a few of them in differannt v8 cars. I think i am the only one that takes the precautionary route and cuts 1/4" off the end of the input shaft. The counter gear ratios are not the same, the whole thing is differant inside and the V8 input shaft will not bolt into the 4 cyl T-5.