h8my408

Aug 27, 2007
Houston, Tx
first gear feathering sideways
granny shift 2nd gear
feather swaying sideways slowly pedaling more as i get more speed
3rd gear shif-BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!

boom baby bye bye

looks like im going to throw a turbocoupe transmission in tomorrow... see how long that one will last... hopefully it will last up to the dyno day!

i'll take pics of the tranny when i tear it apart! ;)

• Sponsors (?)

Nope, not joking. He doesn't appear to be making a ton of power, and every T-5 I've ran has held up to an enormous amount of abuse. I think it is when you get around the 4-500rwtq numbers that really put a hurting on those transmissions.

Wait, oops, didn't catch the 4 cyl part... Those are definitely different and rated lower, my bad. But the WC T-5 is still pretty stout.

FYI many of the 4cly T-5’s are world class, but correct they do have a lower rating…

I hurt my V8 T-5 in my LX with a basically stock eng, and 3 gear isn’t doing so well in my 94 cobra right now and that car has no impressive modifications to note either…

Do you still have the stock plastic clutch quadrant? They have a tendancy to bend and make it seem like the car doesn't want to go into gear. 2nd and 3rd were doing this to me like mad in the saleen and the new aluminum quadrant helped with that. Of course unless the tranny is making tons of noise and is popping out of gear, then this won't help, :)

i havent gotten the tranny out yet. my jack only lifts 12" ... lol stupid $26.99 schucks special... anyway, 3rd gear is decimated.. all other gears are getting chewed up from the large chunks that are being thrown around... it's DEFINATELY NOT the quadrant.

as for power ratings, what are the turbocoupe ratings vs the regular 4cyl ratings?

not sure how to log out of jon's sn name it's on everytime i get on here ive had better luck with the world class 4cyl t-5's then the v-8 one's bolt on 5.0 197k ran 13.6 at 104 last time out 2 years ago not bad for a mild port job and basic bolt on's

i blew third also a few weeks back. the rebuild wasnt too bad and i still have shifting problems and 2nd gear grinds more often than i'd like...good luck EDIT: there is a magnet in the bottom of your trans that holds all the pieces in one place, so you actually are safe to drive it a short distance without fear of the pieces jamming up the gears

usally when it blow you SOL!!! mangnet foes no good. I think th e 4cyl turbo coupes were rated at 245lbs trq. and you have to change the input shaft bearing. If I could tell you not to do it I would and fix or find an 5.0 one for now. This is coming from someone that has gone threw 8 t-5 and two of them were WC units. I wouldn't of broke the WC units if it wasn't for some MAJOR wheel hop.

Matt

I have many an 11 sec timeslip rowing a T5. The final straw for me though was on my way to work, I rodded on my car going for I-5 to 526 in 3rd and it just let go. No shifting involved just more torque than the poor thing could deal with I guess.

I did end up getting home with it though (45 miles) driving about 35 mph the whole way. When I got it apart it looked like a grenade went off inside it.

I should add that I have been through a couple turbo coupe T5s in my 4 banger car. One of them spit the tailshaft bushing out the back at 80 mph! But still considering with 290 lbs ft of torque at the wheels and some serious beating they still hold up pretty well.

T-5's aren't so bad except for 3rd, obviously :D. To much leverage for the shafts and they push apart, then BOOM. The freshly rebuilt one in my '95 was on track to last about 15K miles before I took the motor back to stock, and it was only H/C/I. Several times I got chassis-jarring BOOMs in 3rd gear but it kept going. The whining got louder each time though :lol:.