Drivetrain T5 issues

Carpenter78

Apr 29, 2020
Im trying to get some loose ends buttoned up on my build and need some advice. I found a WC T5 out of a 95 GT to use in my 93 LX. This transmission sat in the previous owners garage for several years without fluid in it. When I bought the T5, I pulled the tail shaft and top cover to do an inspection. Everything "looked" ok except for the fact the internals were dryer than a popcorn fart.

I reassembled everything and installed in my car. The issues I'm having is hard gear selecting. 1-4 is pretty good, but 5th and reverse gear is almost impossible. I can get it into gear, but it is not a smooth transaction.

I was told the transmission might loosen up after some time spend driving. Is there any validation to this advice? If not, what would be causing the 5-R hard shifts?

• Sponsors (?)

Off the top of my head would be wrong fluid, bad synchros and/or poor clutch adjustment. If the clutch is adjusted and you are running the correct fluid then it’s time to pull the trans out and break it down for an inspection.

Yes, input shafts and bell housings are different. Swap input shaft and retainer to Fox parts and the T5 is good to go.

That does bring up something else. When this is done you have to shim the input shaft via the retainer. This will cause issues if not done correctly.

I did swap the input shaft. I'm running ATF and the clutch is properly adjusted. I'll probably put some miles on it to see if it loosens up. I'm afraid I have something binding on the 5-R rail. I know T5's are fairly easy to rebuild so that might be where it's headed.

Reactions: 1 user
By any chance do you have a photo of how dry it was inside? ANy appearance of corrosion?

I probably would have pulled it apart to inspect the bearings and blocker rings and the shafts were the bearings ride. It may loosen up as you put miles on it, but my fear is that it may also cause damage in areas where old fluid could be gummed up and preventing fresh fluid from flowing.

Reactions: 1 users
I do not have pictures. When I changed the input shaft, I also put a billet counter shaft support in it. I "inspected" while I had it apart. I was sure to shim counter and input shafts in compliance with a YouTube video by Paul Cangilosi. He apparently is a goto T5 expert. I understand watching a video and performing the work are two different things. I felt good with final assembly and had no issues I'm aware of. A T5 is pretty simple. I will tear it back down if it doesn't get any better. I have only put maybe 10 miles on the car since the build. This has been an ongoing build for 3.5 years and I'm ready to see what I built is capable of.

Reactions: 1 user