Fox T5 Speedo Gear Came Loose

93CalypsoConvert

Nov 26, 2020
Virginia
My speedo gear popped loose in my transmission the other day. I can stick my finger in the hole and I can feel the gear towards the back of the tail housing, but I can't feel the little metal retaining clip. Do I need to take this thing apart again and get it out? I'm kinda afraid it will find its way in 5th gear and chew everything up. I have put probably 100 miles on the transmission since this happened. Has anyone had this happen to them? What did you do?

• Sponsors (?)

Yup. It's the only way. Need to pull the tailhousing and reinstall the gear and the clip. The clip likely snapped, which is very common.

My recommendation to anyone who ever rebuilds a T5 is to replace the speedo gear clip, and the 5th gear drive gear retaining clip. Those two clips have a habit of stretching when removed during a rebuild and failing when you don't want them too requiring pulling the tailhousing again to fix. Total PITA repair but we've seen plenty of posts regarding losing the speedo gear or having 5th gear slide down the shaft leaving one without 5th.

My speedo gear popped loose in my transmission the other day. I can stick my finger in the hole and I can feel the gear towards the back of the tail housing, but I can't feel the little metal retaining clip. Do I need to take this thing apart again and get it out? I'm kinda afraid it will find its way in 5th gear and chew everything up. I have put probably 100 miles on the transmission since this happened. Has anyone had this happen to them? What did you do?
Now you have the real answer and hopefully a repair in progress -

The only thing worse than tight Speedo gear is loose Speedo gear and parts popping out of place.

You suckers got me worried now,just put rebuilt( by me) trans. back in.I got a complete kit from 5 speeds.com and I don't remember if speedo gear clip was included.:poo:,:poo:,:leghump:.sonofa.

Attachments

• IMG_20210401_110729_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20210401_110729_hdr.jpg
    677.3 KB · Views: 63
I wouldn’t lose sleep over it, but they are common failure points. In the last 20 or so years I couldn’t tell you the number of times I’ve responded to a thread where the speedo gear walked, or 5th gear itself walked down the shaft due to a stretched C-clip. It happens, but it’s not a 100% failure rate by any means. I wouldn’t open up a trans just to change them, but if I had it open, those items go into the trash

Woooo,looked at some parts I saved from rebuild.

Attachments

• IMG_20210405_132615_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20210405_132615_hdr.jpg
    578.4 KB · Views: 64