t5 with pro 5.0 shifter

95at5.0

Apr 15, 2010
Fort Wayne IN
In my mustang i have a pro 5.0 shift and im trying to figure out why i cant power shift the gears. It feels super slow compared to my 85 gt with stock shifter and my brothers 78 zephyr with a hurst shifter. The t5 is a fresh rebuild from the ford dealership. Has anyone had any problems with the pro 5.0 shifter?

• Sponsors (?)

I noticed that same thing with my '84 GT. And later my '84 SVO. I also had a Pro 5.0 shifter. I pulled the shifter out of the GT and put it into the SVO. The GT got a pro ripper. I loved it. Could powershift it easily. Then I sold both cars, years later bought my '93 LX 2.3 and put the pro 5.0 in it and could not shift so save my butt. I explained my situation to someone who knows more than I do, and they explained to me that the early non world class transmissions did not have needle bearings under the gears. They were bushings. Bushings have more friction, which slows them down faster when the load is removed-and because the synchro's job is to speed up or slow down the gear that it's trying to engage, the non-wc trans does this faster because of more drag...and it shifts a little better in a performance application. However they are weaker...but I never broke one. Broke 10 kinds of 7.5 rear ends though-even with the little 2.3 in the SVO-but never broke a trans. It was explained to me that the WC transmissions with their roller bearings under the gears, the rollers have a lot less friction and the interia of the gear spinning is harder to control (meaning accelerate or declerate) by using the synchro only during the shift.

I don't know a better way to 'splain it...hopefully that'll at least get the message across. I don't know-Im not an engineer or anything. Just stating what a well known trans guy told me over the phone.

Everyone likes a particular shifter. Some guys like a Pro 5.0. Some like a Hurst. Some like the Pro Ripper. Some like the MGW. Personal preference. Also seating position makes a difference too. If I drive "normal" (gangster....kind of-I'm 6'4" so I like the seat WAY back) I can't powershift at all. But if I move the seat forward and recline it forward more, where I'm kind of more "upright", I can bang the shifts a little better-especially 2-3. Clutch disengagement is also something to look at. My '93 LX still has the factory quadrant and cable in it (200,000 miles) so it's a little sloppy. The '84 LX had an aftermarket quadrant and a brand new cable on it-with a steel bearing retainer, and it was silky smooth and tight-which engaged & disengaged right at the top of travel and made it easier to powershift.