T5z vs tkx , cost and value.

ok. I've not made a decision yet, but figured I'd do some more cost comparison after looking around a bit more.

tkx trans is still $2800 but i found it comes with a shifter. just need the handle and ball.

clutch and flywheel end up being the same price

tkx bellhousing for $245, and i'll sell my t5 bell .

still $90 for the slip yoke.

I'm reading that I can use the stock cross member and a spacer. anyone have experience with this?

With me adding $100 to find a shifter handle/ball and the cross member spacer, we are at under $1300 difference. under $1450 if I have to use the fancy cross member. I'm leaning pretty heavy towards getting the tkx and not having to worry about it again.

• Sponsors (?)

My t5z lasted like 2 weeks after a hci swap that made about 340rwhp, 373 gears and drag radials, street use only.
If you use good tires (one could argue is there any point in modifying a tail happy foxbody at all, if you aren't going to use good tires), most likely you will break a t5. You can use crap tires all you want, because without traction, nothing is breaking.

IMO, skip straight to the TKX and if you are lucky you will never think about another trans ever again.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
I'm betting there will be some used tko 500/600 for sale from those getting the tkx.
Might want to look around, you could save some clams.

I think i would rebuild the original t5 rebuilt before i would go and spend 2 grand on a Z.
Should come out a grand less.
Assuming it's not whining horribly.

Reactions: 1 user
I think i would rebuild the original t5 rebuilt before i would go and spend 2 grand on a Z.
Should come out a grand less.
Assuming it's not whining horribly.
the T5 in the Junk Pyle is fine, only has about 50k on it but I have another GT called 'the stunt double' and I have no idea what condition the T5 is in, just pondering options. Yeah, 2k for a trans is stiff, funny I only paid a touch over 1k (maybe 1200) for a new T5, flywheel, cobra clutch kit and Pro5.0 shifter when I first got that car.
Times have changed.

Reactions: 1 user
To me,this is a no-brainer. TKX no doubt.I broke a buncha T-5s years ago,and upgraded to a Tremec 3550. My current ride had a T-5z,while a great trans,I knew it wouldn't handle the punishment I would give it, so a TKO 600 went in it's place.

So, a guy in my local car group reached out to me. He has a tkx from an abandoned project that was never ran. Trans , bell, shifter, and clutch for 3k.
It’s the It’s the 2.87 first and .68 5th. Version.

I’m failing to see why I shouldn’t jump on this.

So, a guy in my local car group reached out to me. He has a tkx from an abandoned project that was never ran. Trans , bell, shifter, and clutch for 3k.
It’s the It’s the 2.87 first and .68 5th. Version.

I’m failing to see why I shouldn’t jump on this.
I hope you have already bought this......

Reactions: 2 users
You need a different clutch for the G-force T5 because the input shaft has more splines, but you can re-use everything else. At some point I'm going to pull the trigger on one for my SN95.

alright new question. assuming my deal goes threw. For a cross member, I can either use my auto one, cut it or my 5 speed one and slide it back, or use the stifflers. anyone have experience with the stifflers unit? worth the cash?