Tale of Sorrow (Damnitsyellow, I'd like your opinion)

MyBlueOval

Apr 3, 2005
RetiredGeneral said:
Just wanted to gloat a little. I got my 2005 GT last night. I know how hard it is getting to find the GT's with a manual trans, and forget about trying to order one now. Here's how I got mine on short notice. I went to a big dealer (Galpin Ford in Los Angeles). The salesman pulled info on cars that were either just built or about to be built. He found one that was exactly what I wanted. It was just built that day, and was getting ready to be put on a train. He tracked it's progress and the day it landed in Riverside CA and was unloaded he went there personally to pick it up. When he was a few miles from the dealership he called me and I met him there, and the car was mine. They said they couldn't take a deposit on it because technically the car was still up for grabs when it was taken off the train.
Anyway, Galpin went the extra mile, and I'd recommend trying there if you are still looking. The guy that helped me was Leonard. And there is no dealer mark-up there.
I hope I don't get crap like the last time I posted... I'm just trying to be helpful...

Now that we've heard a story of joy, let me tell you a story of sorrow. I spoke with my rep today at the dealership here in SoCal I placed my X-plan order with for a GT convertible on 3/18. Priority=10 and I have a DORA and have been calling the IVRU every Friday.

Originally, the rep told me 12 weeks for delivery based on their allotment. Six weeks later I'm still C/U so I called him. He then throws at me that he spoke with the inventory manager and the last order from January was just filled. Based on that, he said it would probably be another 8 weeks to get a build date for my car. So, its gone from "12 weeeks to delivery" to 14 weeks to get a build date. :bang: The rep told me their GT allotment is 8 cars per month. Needless to say, I AM PISSED at the rep and the dealership! Basically, they've lied and I let myself be deceived. After I received some conflicting data I started to doubt their integrity. There is so much conflicting data and experience out there right now it's exasperating!

When I asked the rep if my order for a 2005 would automatically roll over to a 2006 if it wasn't filled he said "Yes". I told him that I've read that the order has to be initiated separately. He said, "Whoever told you that is lying". So, where's the truth? Yellow, can you help me out here? Does this dealership smell worse than rotten fish?

I have a couple options to consider (not in any particular order):

1. Stick with the dealer and wait until June '05 to see if my 2005 order gets a build date and delivery probably in July. The "some day my princess will come" approach.

2. Cancel my '05 order and place a 2006 order with a dealership whose tongue isn't twisted in knots. The "don't reward bad behavior" approach.

3. Go to Galpin or another dealer with inventory and pay MSRP (ouch!). The "eat crow" approach judged by the posts I've made on this board.

4. Screw Ford! Pay +25K and get a BMW M3 convertible that I really do enjoy.

Opinions? Thoughts? What would you do?

• Sponsors (?)

MyBlueOval said:
I have a couple options to consider (not in any particular order):

1. Stick with the dealer and wait until June '05 to see if my 2005 order gets a build date and delivery probably in July. The "some day my princess will come" approach.

2. Cancel my '05 order and place a 2006 order with a dealership whose tongue isn't twisted in knots. The "don't reward bad behavior" approach.

3. Go to Galpin or another dealer with inventory and pay MSRP (ouch!). The "eat crow" approach judged by the posts I've made on this board.

4. Screw Ford! Pay +25K and get a BMW M3 convertible that I really do enjoy.

Opinions? Thoughts? What would you do?

i'm coming up on the same situation you're in. ordered 3/1 and told 8-12 weeks. well, 8 weeks was this week. still c/u. i talked with inv. mgr at dealer last week and he said i s/b scheduled this week. but still c/u as of today. if any dealers around here had inventory i'd seriously consider your option 3. my order is not plan, but is under msrp. but at this point, i'd pay the extra $1000 to have the car!
failing that, i'll probably wait the dealer out - i've no indication that they're purposely screwing me, just at the mercy of ford and their allotment.
anyone out there with a torch red gt premium vert on their lot?

I'd go with no. 3. I don't think paying MSRP is "eating crow". Even with some of the cheesy quality issues (minor stuff, anyway), it is well worth sticker. Anyway, it's only money...

I had also ordered mine but cancelled my order after another dealer traded and got one for me. It cost me more, but it was well worth it. I would've still been waiting (and going bonkers), otherwise.

Oval, man I feel your pain. It really depends how badly you want the car. If you want one, then just swallow your pride and find one on a lot and pay MSRP. Of course the M3 is a nice vehicle, but you're doubling the price on the GT to get it.

For me I wanted the Stang, my family also had a relationship with a dealer who was watching on their lot for one that I wanted (they wouldn't order on X-plan, I had an order on X at another dealer). In the end, I got the car I wanted, I paid $200 under MSRP and that was that, and I didn't wait 4 or 5 months. It's not like X-plan is a billion dollars in savings, for me, it would have been $1,600 less and months of waiting. And frankly, I was sick of waiting. And all the money I have saved on other cars over the years didn't make me feel bad about once paying for a car that is obviously a tough commodity right now.

Believe me, I'm the last person to want to get screwed at a dealer, and would NEVER pay MSRP, ever before. I used to drive dealers nuts when I'd get under invoice and still complain. But there just is little choice here in So Cal for us to get a deal on the GT's, unless we order, and wait forever.

So don't feel bad if you think you're "eating crow" to pay MSRP, especially where we live. Those who say differently obviously don't live here and don't know that there are NO DEALERS willing to sell cars on lots for anything less than sticker. The only reason I say I got $200 under MSRP was because they gave me the Premium Wheels for nothing just as a thank you for the business my parents have given their Lexus dealership over the years. Obvious it wasn't much of anything, but whatever, they switched them with another GT for nothing.

I don't want anyone to take offense to this, but why would you wait until March to order such a popular car, and then complain that it is taking too long for delivery.

I ordered June 2004--picked up October 27th 2004.

bigaloz said:
I don't want anyone to take offense to this, but why would you wait until March to order such a popular car, and then complain that it is taking too long for delivery.

Because you can't always get the car when it comes out, this is all based each person's situation. I ordered mine in march and am getting it either this week or next.

bigaloz said:

Because I wanted to see the car, drive the car and see if they were any serious problems before I placed an order.

[QUOTE='01SilverBullet]Oval, man I feel your pain. It really depends how badly you want the car. If you want one, then just swallow your pride and find one on a lot and pay MSRP. Of course the M3 is a nice vehicle, but you're doubling the price on the GT to get it.

For me I wanted the Stang, my family also had a relationship with a dealer who was watching on their lot for one that I wanted (they wouldn't order on X-plan, I had an order on X at another dealer). In the end, I got the car I wanted, I paid $200 under MSRP and that was that, and I didn't wait 4 or 5 months. It's not like X-plan is a billion dollars in savings, for me, it would have been $1,600 less and months of waiting. And frankly, I was sick of waiting. And all the money I have saved on other cars over the years didn't make me feel bad about once paying for a car that is obviously a tough commodity right now.

[/QUOTE]

The savings for me will be $2680 on x-plan (difference in (price + sales tax)). I can afford MSRP...heck, I can afford the M3 but what can I say...I'm a cheap bastard. :p If I could find a WV blue convertible with 5-speed here in SoCal @ MSRP I could be persuaded to buy it. It doesn't exist and I don't want to take something that I don't absolutely love if I'm going to pay a premium price.

[QUOTE='01SilverBullet]That's a toughie Oval you're right. I did a search at FordDirect and couldn't even find a vert auto GT in WV.[/QUOTE]

Precisely. The only dealers around here that have any convertible I'd consider have all put add-ons on the car and won't take them off (Grody, Mills, Ford West). I'm not paying MSRP + 4995 for some no-name ghetto 20" wheels with cheap rubber on them. The one they had @ Grody had over 8k in markups and their attitude was repulsive on top of it! :notnice:

Absolutely, I wouldn't do that either, I don't care how much I wanted the car. That's sheer stupidity. Although the dealer that I got my car from had 20" rims on when I test drove it. They actually were nice, but I wasn't going to pay $4,000 for them. They happily put the stock ones back on. Those dealers should do the same.

Hmm I'll make sure not to stop by those dealers then cause I'm about to start shopping for the 05 pretty soon
I noticed ville ford has quite a few gt's in their inventory (when i checked online anyways)
You may want to check there to see what they got

Ordered my vert on 1/28 and I'm still C/U. Dealer told me it would be an '06 model when it arrives. I sent an email and letter to Ford expressing my extreme displeasure with their allocation system. It probably won't do any good, but if enough people do it they will at least hear us. It just sucks when you see your exact car on Ebay for sale by a dealer for over sticker and you may have to wait 6 months for delivery. I wonder if Ford knows the customers buy their cars, not the dealers.