Progress Thread Tannerc91gt’s Build(s) Thread

• Sponsors (?)

Tore into the rear light wiring today.
72844C78-9771-45C0-9B4F-6F7121AAADFC.jpeg

Luckily I had a little help
3B6E9762-7CBA-4EA7-A39D-02BB38BF67BC.jpeg

EADC8AC7-2C4F-4201-B92D-7ABD7603915B.jpeg

Got it thinned out to what I’ll be able to reuse. Not sure how I’ll wire the reverse lights back in with this particular setup but otherwise the brake lights seemed to work.

Reactions: 2 users
He just sent his head lights to Tennessee to have them buffed by a guy that's gonna charge him out the ass for it.

You grumpy fake knee having coot...Much like Dave painting your car for you, Kevin restores the lights and clear coats them so they never require future maintenance. Its not just going over them with a foam ball on a drill, lol.

You grumpy fake knee having coot...Much like Dave painting your car for you, Kevin restores the lights and clear coats them so they never require future maintenance. Its not just going over them with a foam ball on a drill, lol.
And you think he does this how then exactly? He has a magic head light wand that he waves over the head lights before he clear coats them?

He sands the things first with like a 2000 grit paper, maybe finer after that. Then compounds them back to smooth with a buffer. THEN he clear coats them. Then he charges guys like you 200.00 to do that.

If there was ever a job on this forum that screams DIY any louder, it's reconditioning a set of cloudy head lights. And it is almost exactly like going over them with a foam ball on a drill.

• Agree
No real picture updates. New job has kept me pretty busy. I work straight days now so my weekends are full of family stuff and I lost my free days during the week. Enjoying being home with my boy though.

Finally got fed up enough with the twins to scrap them. Hated the foglight mounting, hated the scavenge pump, hated the coldside.
It turned me off from working on the car for a good while. Did a little light wiring and got some stuff out back buttoned up but for the most part it was mounting and remounting the 66s. I lost all drive to work on it, I knew I was building something I didn’t like.

So...I sold them.
A1AB00B6-F278-4000-BA13-1C6B62AF4117.jpeg

Friend of mine needed twins for his c6 project and it worked out so off they went.
Sold the scavenge pump as well. And this evening I bought a single billet 85. Excited about the project again.
There’s a car show in two weeks, highly unlikely it’s drivable but it’s motivation to get rolling on it again.

Going to cut off the twin 2.5” inlets and weld on a new end tank on the IC I already have.
1AD0FBFD-81CF-44B5-899A-9525F86FEEE9.jpeg

Preparing to cut the bumper support off and build better Ic mounts as well.
If my turbo ships tomorrow I’ll start building the new hotside this weekend.
11C72AD6-452B-4A18-A24B-1E3B080EB9EE.jpeg

Luckily had enough unused bends to build what I’m wanting.

The downpipe will be interesting, stay tuned for that.

Say what you want about my wandering eye but man I’m excited to put this thing together again finally.

Awesome man. Congrats on the new job. Glad to hear your motivation is back. Are you going to just cap off one of the inlets on your ic?
No sir, the 2.5” is too small for a single inlet IMO. Cutting off that end tank entirely and welding on a new one with a single inlet.
$60 investment over taking a bath on the IC sale and buying a new one.
8A11B6E3-DCED-40FE-B244-49FB42132F6B.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users
No sir, the 2.5” is too small for a single inlet IMO. Cutting off that end tank entirely and welding on a new one with a single inlet.
Ha-I actually have experience here-first time I can actually be somewhat helpful in your thread.. Re tanking IC’s is a pain in the a$$ lol. Clean material is key,and lots of heat.pre heat everything

So, to make a long story short, the upper control arm bolts were a bigger diameter than the new bushings I had to order. Old ones were stuck in old housing.
Through a series of bad decisions I basically destroyed a $150 set of bushings. They were in pieces and one of the threads was trashed.
Stubbornness and a lot of quality time with a file prevailed and I managed to put them back together.
So having the rear end squared up and back on the “ground” is a victory for idiots everywhere.
07653DAB-B030-40FE-9230-5522A2979D06.jpeg

The bad news for the day is that Treadstone must have sunk their only boat from China because that end tank is 8+ weeks backordered. I have no plan b.

I do have a couple not-that-great teaser shots of the new turbo. Should be shipping out tomorrow so maybe by the weekend I’ll have some better ones.
561C9253-C964-4809-9EB2-1B2E7C501CCA.jpeg
292514C4-38CB-46E9-BD12-48C75876C9BB.jpeg

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users
Got my merge today. No turbo til Tuesday :(
0D8628E0-3121-4C1B-B199-FD070160CCF2.jpeg

Did do a little renovating to make room for the bigger frame turbo. Was able to push the radiator forward 2” or so.
AC85C491-125E-43C5-8884-E55EBAC92EF7.jpeg

You go boy! Personally, there would be no way on Earth I'd attempt Aluminum TIG welding on an intercooler considering how many of those cooling fins I'd probably melt through.
I know the feeling....It's not that I didn't like my idea to change over from Turbo to the ITB's,... but the constant headaches revolving around making them fit/even/level/work put a real road block in my motivation to get it running. And this was all the way up to the point of having the things mounted.Too many other things that didn't fit right as a negative repercussion was the biggest killer for me.
(That, and the current fear that tuning it will be a pain as well)

There's something to be said for simple though. One turbo solves alot of hassles over twins (and I never liked the symmetry issue with regard to clocking them on mine, One was under, one was over) A twin scroll turbo is becoming very popular as an option though. Still a pain in the dick to build a proper header on a V8 to feed both halves equally, but do-able.

Reactions: 1 user