Tapping sound when cold

Old Today, 03:57 PM #1
MATT87GT

Icon5 Tapping sound when cold
I've done several searches, and still can't answer my problem so here goes nothing...

A little back ground. I just bought this 2002 GT, Knowing it had a few problems. I got it from a small dealer for a HELL of a price. If I can't fix the 2v then i will continue with my plans of putting a 4v into it. If i can fix the 2v then i'll drive it and keep saving for a 04 cobra swap.

82,555.5 miles.
sohc 4.6
known mods= bbk cold air intake, welded on flows, alarm.

I have been tracking this ticking/tapping sound. So far i tightend the h-pipe to header bolts, and replaced one missing one. Fixed vacuum leak at pass side pcv valve. Pulled passenger side VC to see if anything was noticably wrong. Listening with a stethiscope, the pass side top is where i hear it the most.

Checked spark plugs....
cyl#1 good
#2 loose
#3 time certed already
#4 whole platinum electrode was gone
#5 platinum electrode was severely burned up
#6 loose
#7 loose
#8 good

Got new plugs installed, "autolite ap764 plats" Torqued to 13lb

Idles good now, No codes except for IAC.

Upon starrt up there is a loud tap sound. If i bring up the rpms to 2000 or higher the sound goes away. If i let it idle for 10-15 mins till the coolant temp reaches 200+. The tap will comepletly go away.

I tried dissconecting the COPS 1x1 to see if it changed the tap sound, it did not.

I haven't tried changing the oil yet , it looks good, though. I may try putting some 5w 30 and a new filter on it today. I can't drive the car yet as i'm still waiting to get insurance, inspection,and new tires on it.

Any Ideas???

• Sponsors (?)

Changed the oil and used a motorcraft filter and exxon 5w30 oil. Still tapps.

It's weird how it taps for about 15 minutes or so idling, and once it warms up it starts getting quiet, and eventually the tap is completely gone.

I posted this on modularfords also and some guys over there have mentioned the timing chains,tensioners,guides also...

That was a valvoline oil filter on there btw...looked like a crappy paper one too.

eliteJAE: Thanks, that is my wife like 1.5 years ago lol.... It was her idea too...now she wants me to take it off...not on her life lol...

Does the tap come from the front of the engine...or the middle area of the valve cover?

Might have to pull a valve cover and take a peek. Could be something sticking

It's really hard to pinpoint the location of the sound. I know it's on the passenger side, but i really can't say whether it's from the front, middle, or back.

If I had to choose, i would choose front or middle.

I pulled the passenger valvecover and started the engine and all I did was make a mess lol. I didn't let it run for long, and couldn't pinpoint the sound that way either.

I was hoping it would be a lifter, whata ya think???

You have to tell us what you paid for it! When I bought my mustang the #7 spark plug was completly closed (the metal thing on top was smashed and welded onto the electrode) after I replaced the spark plugs it idled and ran much smoother. Just about everyone recommends the motorcraft filter, honestly it is one hell of filter imo its the best money can buy. When the shop is sold out of motorcraft filters I usually pick up a mobil1 synthetic one. Just stay away from the ****ty paper fram ones, they will literally fall apart on you. Imo Mobil 1 is the best oil. This is all just my recommendation though and well since your not new to cars I'm sure you know whats good.

If it were the chains,tensioners, would the tick/tap go away though?

I mean it taps loud , but once the car is fully warmed up, it goes away completly. It doesn't just tap for a few seconds, it'll tap for a good 15 minutes of idle time untill it's fully warmed up to 200 degrees, it's been in the 40's to 60's here so that may have something to do with the time it takes to fully warm up.

Does anyone think it could be a lifter not pumping up? Or is that not likely with these motors?

IDK how similar the basic design is, but i have been working on this problem for several months and on my 4V it is the hydaulic valve lash adjusters making the loud tapping at cold start and then dying away with engine temp. I have 2 or three going out and sticking. They are about $8 each at Autozone or $17 each for oem. The tool is like $125 to compress the springs so you can replace them without removing the cam. If the 2v is the same style you might want to check the lash adjusters.

I am no motor head either but I say it sounds like an oiling problem. Use a good motocraft, mobil1 , or Purolator oil filter and make sure to use the correct amount of oil I would use mobil1 syn 5w30. Could there be some sludge causing this guys? What does the oil in the car look like now?

LOL your video makes it very clear that its loose :p now that youre there and bare, did you check the timing chain guides? i remember mine, for some odd reason, spit out pieces of the plastic on em, they were just rolling around for i dunno how many thousands of miles. as for the slack on the chain, i really cant say man, im sure someone here will know though.